“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus
It is birthday week for the boys at our house and I am rejoicing for all the things we have. My son is making his last trip around the sun before entering his teens and I’m turning….well, another year older. This week was particularly rich in useful tools, apps, and design resources. So be sure to peek at those sections towards the end- you’ll be glad you did. Cheers!
Skill Stacking: A Practical Strategy To Achieve Career Success
“Successwise, you’re better off being good at two complementary skills than being excellent at one.”
In this article, Darius Foroux (@DariusForoux) talks about building your “skill stack” and how when it comes to skills, quantity often beats quality.
The Math Behind The 5-Hour Rule: Why You Need To Learn 1 Hour Per Day Just To Stay Relevant
Not Learning IS The Smoking Of The 21st Century
Very interesting thoughts from Michael Simmons (@michaeldsimmons) about how we have a minimum daily dose of deliberate learning just like exercise, eating well and sleeping.
The Power of Worked Examples
Learning through worked examples is a very effective, but underutilized way to learn. Especially when learners are novices with little prior knowledge. You should take a close look at what Mirjam Neelen (@mirjamn) and Paul Kirschner (@P_A_Kirschner) have to say about this because integrating worked examples can save you a lot of time and money in the way it enables both efficient and effective learning. And who doesn’t want that?!?!?.
The forgetting curve and campaign approach to remembering learning
As Bianca Baumann (@BiancaBaumann) and I have been saying for a while now, marketing can live right alongside your learning programs. Campaign thinking is just one marketing technique that can improve your L&D results. You can learn more about it in this Training Journal article by Issy Nancarrow (@issynancarrow)
20+ Easy Ways Take Your Screen Shots from Boring to Brilliant
Screenshots can be boring. But there is no reason they have to be. In this post, I’ll show you more than 20 ways to convert your normal everyday screenshots into attractive visual designs. It is really so easy that even a caveman can do it!
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Elearning Network Connect 2018 just wrapped up this week in London. Why not take a quick peek in on them?
- This was Work Out Loud week (@WOLWeek)and it isn’t a conference but it is something worth checking out. #WOLweek
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- The eLearning Guild is accepting Realities360 speaking proposals until today. (Nov 16)
- Content Marketing World speaking proposals are open until December 14th
- ICELW 2019 Call for Proposals is now open and the deadline is December 16th, 2018.
- HR Tech Conference – open until December 28th. Get the details here.
- No Shit is a nice list of free resources for your design projects.
- Chartify is a chart maker for busy people.
Apps & Tools
- Do you need a website? Mozello is the best and easiest to use option I’ve ever seen.
- Want to share info with friends and/or colleagues? Slite is a very interesting take on collaborative information sharing. It lets you organize notes in channels (like Slack) as well as collections and subcollections.
- Looking for a better way to manage your bookmarks? Qlearly is a new way to use Kanban boards to save and share your bookmarks.
- Need a quick poll? Fast Poll lives up to its name. It is a quick and easy option for polling.
- How Behavior Spreads: The Science of Complex Contagions by Damon Centola
- Seth Godin’s Akimbo podcast about his new book “This is Marketing”
What I’m listening to
- I need an antidote to the cold and dreariness we’ve been stuck in this week and ”Yacht Rock” is just what the doctor ordered!
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- December 13th Elearning Webinar: ATD Maryland.
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL