“Gratitude is the healthiest of all human emotions. The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more likely you will have even more to express gratitude for.” —Zig Ziglar
The holidays are rapidly approaching and now is a good time to think about all the things we have to be grateful for. My family and friends are right at the top of my list. Here’s to you and yours having a merry everything and a happy always. Cheers!
Digital Learning Trends for 2019
What does 2019 have in store for learning pros? Check out these prognostications and some strong calls for more people-focused approaches.
Self-explanation is a powerful learning technique
Find out more about what this meta-analysis has to say about the fact that it is better to ask a student to see if they can explain something to themselves, than for a teacher or book to always explain it to them.
Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work
Researchers Paul Kirschner (@P_A_Kirschner), John Sweller, and Richard Clark tell us that based on our current knowledge of human cognitive architecture, minimally guided instruction is likely to be ineffective.
How to Configure Your iPhone to Work for You, Not Against You
I took some time to do this and immediately noticed a difference. Try these easy steps to reduce the impact your phone is having on you. Our phones seem to have an oversized impact on us and we may not even realize it. Just having your phone on your desk literally makes you dumber even when it is turned off.
By The Numbers: My Top 10 Posts of 2018
A quick look at the posts that garnered the most attention this past year including a global learning conferences calendar, better bullet point alternatives, free graphic design tools, books for L&D pros and the beautiful.ai presentation app.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- DUE TODAY
Content Marketing World speaking proposals are open until December 14th
- DUE SUNDAY
ICELW 2019 Call for Proposals is now open and the deadline is December 16th, 2018.
- HR Tech Conference – open until December 28th. Get the details here.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- Isometric Love – nice set of isometric objects that are free for personal or commercial projects
- Kapwing – Kapwing lets anyone create and edit video easily online.
Apps & Tools
- Fotor – Another option for online photo editing AND creating pro-looking designs.
- Adobe Scan – Get rid of those piles of paper on your desk or the junk in your wallet. The free Adobe Scan app works on your mobile device, scans documents into PDFs, and automatically recognizes text.
- How Helen Blunden (@activatelearn )stays professionally relevant through digital experimentation on the Reputation Revolution podcast
- PODCAST: Behavior Design with BJ Fogg
- Digital Transformation of Learning by Daniel Brigham (Check your local library for free access.)
What I’m listening to
- Interested in a fresh new take on all the same old Christmas songs? These remixed Christmas songs are just the thing for you.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- January 30th: Free Tools for eLearning Spotlight Elearning Guild Online Event
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL