Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering ‘it will be happier’…”
― Alfred Lord Tennyson
I hope you’re enjoying a little end-of-the-year downtime with the ones you love the most. Thank you for reading. Here’s to a happy and healthy 2019 for you and yours. Happy New Years!
Listen while you read
Of the 29,811 minutes I spent this year listening to Spotify, this is my top 100 most listened to songs.
One Top Thing
The Threat and Opportunity of Lifelong Learning
John Hagel (@jhagel) says that we need to “…avoid the temptation of many who say that lifelong learning is solely the responsibility of the individual who still needs to find ways to fit into our existing institutions. If we’re truly going to harness the power and potential of lifelong learning, we’re going to have to transform all of our institutions to help people to learn faster and accelerate performance improvement.”
…and a few more
The Brain’s Autopilot Mechanism Steers Consciousness
This Scientific American article by Steve Ayan walks through the theory of the “predictive mind” – how consciousness only arises when the brain’s implicit expectations fail to materialize. According to this theory, higher cognitive processing can happen without consciousness. The regions of the brain responsible for the emotions and motives, not the cortex, direct our conscious attention.
Ira Glass on What Every Successful Person Knows, But Never Says
This Ira Glass (@iraglass) interview is one of my all-time, very favorite things. He reminds us that developing skills that are as good as your taste comes down to habits. The ability to “fight your way through” comes down to consistency and to keep on going to do a lot of work until you close that gap.
Ten Talks From LITE 2018 You Need to Watch
The LITE 2018 Conference was packed with loads of interesting and informative talks for training pros. Here are ten of the best. My favorite is “Visual Storytelling for Training and eLearning Content” by Sandy Rushton (@sandyrushton) of BrightCarbon.
The 10 most read articles in the Modern Workplace Learning Magazine in 2018
Jane Hart (@c4lpt) is a regular in this space. Here are here top 10 most read articles of 2018
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- HR Tech Conference speaker deadline is today! Get the details here.
- The LXD Conference is calling for speakers through January 4th.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- JeffSum – A little text placeholder generator of Jeff Goldblum awesomeness
- Video Kit – Curated resources to help you create and market videos
Apps & Tools
- LICEcap is a screen capture app that can save it directly to animated .GIF (for viewing in web browsers, etc)
- Rivyt is a nice option for sharing a distraction-free version of YouTube videos. (Great for embedding in elearning)
- A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- January 30th: “Tools for Thinking Outside the Course” Elearning Guild Free Elearning Tools Spotlight
- February 1: “The Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning” I4PL webinar
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL