“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
Happy New Year! I hope your 2019 is off to a great start. I’m looking forward what the New Year will bring and I’m super excited to be heading over to London for Learning Technologies 2019 next month. If you’ll be there, let me know – I’d love to meet you in person.
♫ I’m polishing off this first update of the New Year reminiscing with a little musical nostalgia from my school days Guess that tells you how old I am, huh?. 😎
Cybersecurity 101: Why you need to use a password manager
I’ve yet to meet anyone who likes wrangling passwords, but they’re not going anywhere anytime soon. So you should make the move to a password manager. Think of a password manager like a book of your passwords, locked by a master key that only you know. Get the scoop on why you need one, what they can do and good ones to try in this TechCrunch article by Zach Whittaker (@zackwhittaker)
2019 L&D Conferences
If you’re looking for a conference to attend this year, I’ve updated my big list of L&D-related conferences with dates and details for 2019. I’m also looking to add some more value to this with a list of speaker deadlines and a ratings page. Watch this space for news on those coming soon.
[ If you’re curious, you can get a sneak peek here. Do you have any suggestions? ]
LifeHacker’s Best Software of 2018
LifeHacker covers a lot of tech territory so you don’t have to. Check out this super useful collection of the year’s best software by David Murphy (@thedavidmurphy)
- The Essential Windows Apps for 2018
- The Essential Mac Apps for 2018
- The Essential iOS Apps for 2018
- The Essential Android Apps for 2018
How to Write Descriptions for Your Talks and Presentations
Tamsen Webster (@tamadear) shares her process for writing great descriptions for your talks and presentations.
New Insight on How Memory Works
Two Veterans Affairs researchers did a study showing that awareness is a key feature of declarative memory.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- DUE TODAY: The LXD Conference is calling for speakers through January 4th.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- Check out the new and growing list for speakers here.
- Pickup Image — Another great resource for photos. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Ebook Templates – Free Download 13 ebook templates from @hubspot
Apps & Tools
- Adobe Bridge CC gives you a centralized free tool to organize all the files and assets you need for your creative projects.
- Exploring Emerging Technologies — A course that aims to help you acquire strategies to develop lifelong learning habits to keep pace with technology change.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- January 30th: Free Tools for eLearning Spotlight Elearning Guild Online Event
- February 1: “The Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning” I4PL webinar
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.