“When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.” – Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief
Today, we´re on our way to Colorado to kick off our spring break. I´m looking forward to a few days of skiing at Copper Mountain with my fingers crossed for good weather and a little fresh snow. Here is this week´s fresh offering from the world of learning, design, and technology.
Ultimate List of Online Community Resources
There are times when the best thing we can do is connect people with each other and get out of their way. If you´re interested in building any type of online community, Richard MIllington (@RichMillington) is a great person to follow. Here is a great collection of online community resources.
Seven essential elements of a lifelong-learning mindset
In a rapidly changing workplace, we need to keep learning to remain relevant and in demand. Here are seven practices that can help from Jacqui Brassey (@jacquibrassey), Nick Van Dam (@nickvandam), and Katie Coates.
Microsoft Teams, Slack, Facebook Workplace Are Taking Over: And We Better Take Notice
I´m an advocate for this way of thinking, yet I am not sure if this is really happening. While I´ve personally seen the value in these types of platforms and they´ve been around for over a decade now I´m not convinced that many people have adopted them as a regular part of the way they work. Do you see this in your organization? Are you with Josh or me? I´d love to hear your perspective.
Using the Simplified Approach to Video
While this post is by Michele Wiedemer (@mbwiedemer) is about video, the concept also applies to any other uses of multimedia including presentations and elearning. I´ve been using this approach for a long time and I think it is important to know that you don´t always need to aim for super detailed, high-fidelity designs. In fact, there are times when low-fidelity graphics can be MORE effective for learning.
Kristin Anthony (@anthkris) has built a site for LX Designers looking for a starting point in research.
A Look Back at the Best of Workplace Learning
A collection of workplace learning culled items from my 2018 weekly newsletters. Lots of great stuff in there!
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- WDRfree is a big collection of design resources including videos, vectors, images, icons & more.
Apps & Tools
- Rotato – Animated 3D mockups via simple drag and drop| No need for Photoshop, After Effects or Sketch. (Check out a tutorial with practice files from Pablo Stanley)
- Paste – Interesting option for building slides online.
- Toby – a better option for saving your bookmarks/favorites
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- David Anderson on The Elearning Guys podcast about how he started in e-learning, the Articulate community, and what new features are coming to Storyline in the near future.
- Your L&D Organization as Competitive Advantage by Karl Kapp (@KKapp) on Lynda (Check your local library for free access.)
- Stretch: How to Future-Proof Yourself for Tomorrow’s Workplace by Karie Willyerd and Barbara Mistick
What I’m listening to:
- Remember Simply Red from the 80s? They´re still around and this is a nice playlist for a relaxing spring break Friday.
March is a busy month for L&D conferences. Check the calendar to see what is coming around the bend.
Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- DevLearn submissions are now open through March 15.
- Elearning Consortium of Colorado Conference proposals are open until March 18.
- Check the new and growing list for speaker submissions here.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- March 26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
- June 13: New Zealand Association for Training & Development Webinar, What L&D Should Steal From Marketing,
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You Never Knew, Cleveland, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Keynote, Columbus, OH
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.