“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” — Simone Weil
I’m posting a little bit later than normal today. Which means if you subscribe via email, you’ll see this on Saturday instead of Friday morning. The reason was that I had an unexpected opportunity for a good conversation with my wife. Even with all the social tech we have these days, finding quiet time for a good old fashioned face-to-face is too good to pass up. (Especially when you have the challenge of squeezing them in between two jobs, two kids, two dogs and a zillion other things competing for your time and attention.) I hope you get some quality time with someone you value this weekend.
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
What new trends and technologies can we use to design and deliver modern training experiences?
Using Robert Cialdini’s 6 principles of Persuasion as an L&D professional
How you might use some insights from Robert Cialdini´s psychology of persuasion in your L&D programs by Krystyna Gadd (@KrystynaGadd)
8 CLASSIC STORYTELLING TECHNIQUES FOR ENGAGING PRESENTATIONS
A good speaker takes their audience on a journey, leaving them feeling inspired and motivated. But structuring your speech to get your ideas across and keep your audience engaged all the way through is tricky. Try these eight storytelling techniques for a presentation that wows.
Do THIS, Not THAT When Writing Multiple-Choice Questions
Patti Shank (@pattishank) share some tips on the Best Way To Write Multiple-Choice Questions
You may already have the talent you’re looking for
While organizations scramble to hire away talent, you should be cultivating the employees you already have. Thomas Kochan (@tomkochan)recommends some steps to retain and elevate the pool of talent that’s already at your fingertips.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- 8 Resources for Diverse Stock Photos
- PhotoHab – Photohab is a Flickr Web Viewer that lets you easily browse free stock photos, photographers, hashtags, and popular content.
Apps & Tools
- Design Tools Weekly – Series of must-try tools and practical resources on using them.
- Snazzy Maps – Customize the style of Google Maps
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- Stop Consuming and Start Producing: Inspiration For How To Build a Personal Brand by Philip VanDusen (@PhilipVanDusen)
- The lads on the @GoodPractice podcast talk with Helen Blunden (@ActivateLearning) about Is ‘lifelong learning’ a myth?
What I’m listening to:
- The first official day of summer was this week and this playlist has a lot of my summer favorites.
- Dip into the happenings from @elearningGuild Realities 360 Conference this week #Realities360
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Annual Event Keynote, Columbus, OH
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.