Stop being impressed by money, fame & status. Instead, be impressed by those who treat other human beings well, in both good times & bad. — Warren Buffet
It has been a busy week for that whizzed by in a blur. I´m looking forward to shifting gears this weekend with some work around the house and from the looks of it soaking up some air conditioning. Its gonna be hot around here. Here are a few things to warm up your weekend from the world of learning, design, and technology. Cheers!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Narratives to Drive Exponential Learning
John Hagel (@jhagel) explores the potential of narratives to drive ¨exponential learning”. Why are opportunity-based narratives so critical to learning? There are many reasons. They’re a call to action and the key to creating new knowledge is action.
At Work, Expertise Is Falling Out of Favor
These days, it seems, just about all organizations are asking their employees to do more with less. Is that actually a good idea? See what the Navy is trying to do with ¨minimal manning¨ and lifelong learning. Consider questions like Are we equipped to continually return to apprentice mode? Will this burn us out? And will the collective work that results be as good as what came before?
How Can You Nurture a Knowledge-Sharing Culture?
Stan Garfield (@stangarfield) share a number of tips on how to identify organizational barriers to knowledge sharing, and how to overcome them as you build the necessary culture for KM to thrive.
Why Leadership Development Feels Broken: And How We’re Fixing It
Josh Bersin (@Josh_Bersin) on a new alternative to the traditional leadership model for a new world where hierarchy no longer defines how work gets done and the idea that “leaders are more valuable than individuals” is over.
Top E-learning Scenario Tips
Recently, Bryan Jones (@elearningart) from eLearningArt invited me and a whole slew other eLearning people (59 of us) to share their single best tip for creating effective eLearning scenarios.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- PhotoAbility: Authentic Disability Stock Images
- Mixkit – FREE and Professional Videos for Your Next Presentation
Apps & Tools
- Scrola – Create scrolling screenshots with ease
- 5 PowerPoint add-ins to Help Make Cool Presentations Quickly
- LottaTools – a collection of free PDF tools for your browser
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- Join Ben Betts for a ‘Data, Learning and the LRS’ webinar where they discussed the growing importance of data in learning.
- John Hagel on the future of work.
What I’m listening to:
- Today I´m flipping back to my personal top songs list from 2018.
- Learning Technologies Summer Forum #LTSF19 went down this week in London
- Also, this week was AACE´s Global Learn Conference #Glearn
- Speaker submissions for the ATD ICE conference are now open through August 14
- Check out the upcoming conference action and please let me know if you see any I´ve missed.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Annual Event Keynote, Columbus, OH
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.