“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” – Theodore Parker
Here are this week’s finds. Thanks for reading!
Last week’s most clicked item:
100 Posts on Learning Theorists in 100 Days
In Teaching, Sometimes 1+1≠2! Here’s Why
People can’t process a verbal and written explanation that take place at the same time which has serious implications for the design of learning. Research tells us that we shouldn’t use redundant information in our lessons and/or presentations. After all, if we provide both the written and the spoken words at the same time, we force people to multitask and us humans just can’t do that.
Twine Makes Branching Scenarios Easier
Christy Tucker (@christyatucker) shares how the free open source tool Twine makes planning, writing, and creating branching scenarios easier. Learn more about this simple way to create functional prototypes.
3 Myths You Need to Reject to Make More Visual Help Content
Learn how to make your own simplified graphics for your content. It’s easier than you might think and there are some nice advantages like saving time on updates and making your graphics easier to understand for your audience. You can do this manually or if you haven’t seen SnagIt’s simplify tool you just might be amazed! (I know I was.)
Yammer Isn’t Just a Communication Tool
Simon Terry (@simongterry) looks at Yammer as a strategic talent and capability coordination tool that he says if you aren’t using to power your strategy you are losing massive value. Are you using Yammer or any other ESN to bring your people together in pursuit of organization strategy?
Driving automation in learning campaigns with data and analytics
Matthew Mason from @superblearn describes a newish tool, Sparks, that leverages the marketing concepts of campaigns and automation for the L&D world. Pop on over for a quick introduction into the possibilities.
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- [research] More Similar than Different: What the Research Says About Generations in the Workplace
- [design] Gradientify – free customizable SVG icons
- [tool] Motion – free animated SVG icon editor
- [tools] Martech Database – huge collection of marketing tools (steal some for your L&D projects!)
- [tool] FlowMapp – nice, easy to use persona making tool
Conferences & Learning Events
- If you missed it live, you can catch the replay of Science of Attention and Engagement by @usablelearning in the @eLearningGuild archives https://buff.ly/2RrvZd3
- LearnTec is happening next week in Germany. Follow @learntecnews and #learntec2020
- Check out the upcoming conference schedule
- L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.