Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: This morning I’m working along to this big collection of instrumental versions of pop cover music.
Last week’s most clicked item:
BrightCarbon’s Color Tool for PowerPoint
social learning powers distributed work
Harold Jarche reminds us that “distributed work is here to stay, because many people like it, the pandemic is not over and there will be others, and market forces will seek to maximize profits and reduce labour costs. But Zoom calls all day are not going to create work environments where knowledge workers can deal with complex problems or create innovative solutions. The key to distributed work is social learning.”
Jeremy Caplan’s latest Wonder Tools newsletter includes a summary of his recommended tools for teaching. Check it out for some great sites and apps for live and remote teaching. Many of these tools also work well for meetings….and do yourself a favor by signing up for his newsletter.
The Real Reason Kids Don’t Like School
If we are to help kids gain happiness from their education in the short and long term, we need to bring to bear more resources to facilitate friendship, which tends to solve both the loneliness and boredom problems. There is a great deal of research on this subject, and practical resources for making friendship easier for all students to achieve.
Beyond a Presentation: Designing Beautiful Documents in PowerPoint with Tom Howell
Did you know you can design incredible print documents easily with PowerPoint? I’ve been using PowerPoint for print designs for years and in this article Tom Howell spills some pro tips that can help you upgrade the design of your documents too.
6 Alternatives To Bullet Lists
Too many bullet lists can be mind-numbing. Here are six visual alternatives to bullet points from Connie Malamed. And if you’d like to see even more, I have a similar post with more ways to convert your bullet lists into something better “Better Than Bullet Points: Alternative Text Slide Designs”
- The Science of Motivation with Charlotte Blank on the Standard Deviations podcast.
- What is organizational learning? with Nigel Paine on the Mindtools podcast.
- What are the Top 200 Tools for Learning? with Jane Hart on the Train Like You Listen podcast.
Tools & Tips
- Stubborn.fun is a slick design tool that lets you generate your own custom illustrations.
- Turn websites into Scrolling Mockups in the blink of an eye.
- MDX.one helps you create a blog in under 2 minutes using Notion.
- Voicebooking has a good voice over generator with some great sounding AI voices.
- How to use Microsoft Teams like a walkie-talkie
Where You Can Find Me
- Nashville ATD – Using Technology for Training – September 16
- COATD Annual Conference – September 21
- Free Elearning & ID Tools with Tim Slade October 6
- DevLearn October 20-22
- New Jersey ATD – Future of Work – November 10
If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.