Happy Friday! I think the weather around here is broken. Does anyone know who I can talk to and let them know we shouldn’t be dealing with a wind chill factor at this time of year?! I’d really like to spend more time outside not getting rained on and freezing. We definitely don’t live here for the weather. Thanks for reading.
What I’m Listening to: I’ve been giving Code Radio a test drive this week. It is internet radio designed to help you focus while you work.
Last week’s most clicked item:
20 Googling Tricks 99% of People Don’t Know About
The History of Cognitive Load
Multitasking is the enemy of a focused attentional system. Increasingly, we demand that our attentional system try to focus on several things at once, something that it was not evolved to do. I also liked the “ 18-Minute Plan for Managing Your Day And Finding Focus” that is linked to in there.
Most Popular Music For Focusing
Do you have a favorite playlist you turn to when you want to tune out the rest of the world? This is a look at the most popular music for focusing, according to Spotify data. The winning genres might surprise you.
How to Remember Anything Foreverish
If you’re serious about becoming a better learner, reading this online comic is worth your time. Nicky Case uses learning science to explain spaced repetition, and how to apply it.
Get To Work With 8 Productive Learning Strategies
This is a great resource from the 3 Star Learning Experiences blog on productive/generative learning learning that looks at eight learning strategies from Richard Mayer and Logan Fiorella’s book ‘Learning as a Generative Activity’. Each post explains a strategy, why it’s effective, how it can be applied in a learning context along with possible limitations.
Easiest Way to Host Elearning
If you’ve ever Googled “how to upload my elearning course” this post is for you. Even if you’re a pro, you might want to check out how easy hosting content on the web can be with TiinyHost
- Building frontline capability 5 minutes at a time with Lil Ryan and James Stack on the Learning Uncut podcast
- Clark Quinn discusses making meaningful learning solutions on the IDIOC podcast
- Michael Lewis tackles what’s happened to our trust in experts and expertise on the Against The Rules podcast.
- Sunday.fm is a site for listening to chill music
- ClipChamp (owned by Microsoft) let you make free text-to-speech videos
- Vysor puts your iOS or Android on your desktop.
- Biyo is a nice, quick option for creating an online portfolio
- Eagle is an option for organizing all your images & screenshots
- PACT Professional Portfolios – May 13
- Canadian Elearning Conference – June 16-17
- Elearn Success Series: The EdTech Session – July 20
How was this week’s newsletter? Help me improve
As always, if you’re enjoying this letter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend or two. If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.
And should you come across anything interesting this week, send it my way! I always love finding new things to read or watch.