“Learned we may be with another man’s learning: we can only be wise with wisdom of our own.” ― Michel de Montaigne,
It has been a beautiful week here as we head into a long Labor Day weekend. We’re looking forward to lots of nice outdoor time and an extra day of rest and relaxation. Here are a few things to take you into your weekend. Hope it is a great one. Cheers!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
The Power of Retrieval Practice For Learning
Connie Malamed (@elearningcoach) shares some insights reminding us that in a culture that requires shortcuts to improving performance—microlearning, performance support and getting quick answers from colleagues—we may forget that there is still a need to build long-term capabilities…and do it as efficiently as possible.
Adapt Drip Marketing for Right Content, Right Time Learning
Unlike “one and done” offerings that are quickly forgotten, marketing campaigns use an organized, strategic approach meant to reach audience members in a variety of ways over a period of time. If you’re interested in this idea, you should join Bianca Baumann (@BiancaBaumann) and I for our DevLearn pre-conference workshop “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook“
Reach Out, Stay in Touch and Deepen Your Connections with This Essential Networking Advice
Networking makes some people break out into a cold sweat. Here are some good tips for cultivating your network without the stress and awkwardness.
L&D on Trial
Tune in to this myth-busting Training Journal podcast that explores learning styles, MBTI and others.
How To Manage Inspiration Overload
This interesting article by Brad Soroka (@bradsoroka) includes some helpful tips for managing the way you consume information. Unless it’s your job to curate and share information and inspiration (or you really love searching for cool stuff), don’t spend your time doing it. Outsource that task to the people who do it for a living, and trust that the good stuff will come to you.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- Mockup Phone – Free and simple screenshots device mockups generator. Wrap your design in mobile devices in a few clicks!
- Logo Taco – A free library of generic, corporate-free vector brand logos & icon designs.
- Do you know the magic of the F4 key in MS Office? You should! It can be a huge time-saver.
- Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference September 24/25
- Speaker submissions for the Presentation Ideas online conference now open
- L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 17: Learning Technologies and Design Day
- September 24/25: Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference
- October 18: Central NY ATD
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.