Learning impacts every part of your life, long after you’ve left school. It determines how good you are at your job, your ability to lead a team, your ability to innovate, produce and excel. Knowing how to learn, and more importantly, having a system for doing it repeatedly and efficiently, is the most valuable skill you can cultivate in our modern age. -Scott Young
Happy Friday! We’ve made it to the end of another week I hope this finds you and yours doing well. Here are a few things from the learning, design & technology world from this week for you. Cheers!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
No, We Cannot Look Everything Up
Patti Shank (@pattishank) tells us that search can help us find information, but we must know what to look up and how to interpret and use it. Existing knowledge helps us know what to look up. Existing knowledge helps us know if what we find is relevant. It helps us understand what the information means. And so on.
Ger’s Learning Notes: Social Learning
Human interaction is one of the oldest learning technologies and the basis of social learning. Social learning can be very simple and effective. Ger Driesen (@GerDriesen) shares a few good resources from experts explaining how to make the best use of social learning.
6 eLearning Examples From Cloud-Based Authoring Tools
There are a number of cloud-based eLearning authoring tools out there these days. If you’re in the market or just curious you can kick the tires on six of them with these examples from Melissa Milloway (@MelMilloway)
How to Master Hard Skills Quickly with “Ultralearning”
Scott Young is an “ultralearner” who has written Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition and Accelerate Your Career. One of the things he illustrates is that choosing the right method to learn something can make all the difference between success and failure, and yet we usually attribute this to raw talent.
14 incredibly useful things you didn’t know Google Drive could do
I work in the Google Suite quite a bit. This article will show you how to make Google’s online storage service better than ever with some unexpected options and productivity-boosting add-ons.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- Carrd – Build one-page sites for pretty much anything
- Shutterstock Design School – Hone your graphic design fundamentals with this handy guide
- [Podcast] Don’t Wait For Learning To Happen To You with Toby Newman
- [Podcast] Increasing the impact of your learning videos with Danielle Wallace
- [Podcast] Experience Design with Danny Seals
- Learning Live was in London this week. Peek in on the action via #LearningLive
- Free Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference September 24/25
- L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 17: Learning Technologies and Design Day
- September 24/25: Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference
- October 18: Central NY ATD
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.