We are not thinking people. We are feeling people, who think. – Antonio Damaso
Playing catch in the back yard with my daughter lately has been a great reminder of the things that are truly important. It always melts away the rest of the world and I just want to hold on to that feeling forever. I hope you get plenty of whatever that is for you that gives you that feeling.
Here are this week’s finds from the Learning, Design & Technology world. Cheers!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Effective persuasion through ethos, pathos and logos
“Humans are not thinking people. We are feeling people who think.” As learning professionals aren’t we really in the persuasion business? See what Clive Shepard (@cliveshepherd) has to say about it.
20+ Commonly Used Advertising Techniques in Visual Marketing
Speaking of persuasion, marketers tend to be really good at it. Here are some of the techniques from the @visme blog that marketers use and we should steal for our learning content.
How to Improve Your Visual Design Skills (for Learning Professionals)
If you want to apply your design skills to some of those marketing techniques mentioned above, Connie Malamed (@elearningcoach) shares some good tips for how to upgrade your design skills. Everyone is a designer after all.
Five Resources for Estimating Development Time
Everyone has faced the question “How long does it take to develop learning content?” If you’ve ever done it, you know how challenging it can be. Here are several resources that can help.
Breaking Out of the “Tutorial Trap”: How I learned to stop copying and start learning
Steven Kang shares a lesson he learned about “breaking out of the tutorial trap.” He says that problems begin to surface when tutorials are used as shortcuts to circumvent actually learning the concepts involved.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- Formito – Formito is a platform to let you build chat-style forms for your business without any technical knowledge.
- E-mail Love – Browse Email Inspiration, find Email Templates or discover Great Newsletters
- Handy PowerPoint workaround to replace fonts from @BrightCarbon
- https://resizing.app/ – Convert, optimize, and resize your images online in only one easy click and for free
- Habit-forming pesentation hacks with Nir Eyal [podcast]
The conference season is heating up. Check out the upcoming schedule.
- Free Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference September 24/25
- L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 17: Learning Technologies and Design Day
- September 24/25: Learning While Working Global Virtual Conference
- October 18: Central NY ATD Take 3 Mini-conference
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.