Happy Friday! I’m very grateful for the time I get to spend with my daughter. One of the influences she has on me is music and she is constantly introducing me to new artists like Mother Mother and the Arctic Monkeys. Sometimes she even likes some of my “old” music. Whose influence are you grateful for?
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: Arctic Monkeys has got to be among the best band names ever, right?
Last week’s most clicked item:
Top Free Design Resources
DiSC & MBTI Suck – Except for One Thing
The scientific community is crystal clear about DISC and MBTI: they predict nothing. The one good thing about DISC and MBTI is that they foster interest in, and awareness of, differences between people.
The surprising, science-backed value of boredom at work
Boredom has been scientifically proven to be a precursor for creative thinking. When we’re bored, our brains are relaxed and our usual “filters” are off. We can do ourselves and our teams a great service by prioritizing space for spacing out and letting our minds wander.
Most Online Courses Are a Waste of Your Time — Here’s How You Know
Not all learning investments are created equal. People who’ve excelled at their craft are often not the best teachers. Likewise, creators who write the best sales copy don’t offer the most value. This guide from Eva Keiffenheim has some advice for finding (and making) the worthy ones.
21 Exceptional Google Fonts You Probably Haven’t Discovered Yet
I’m a font geek and Google Fonts is my ‘go to’ source for fonts. It is a rich resource and you don’t have to worry about any licensing issues. Here are 21 fonts you might not know that are worth checking out.
The Communities of Practice Playbook
Communities of practice can strengthen our capacity to work and learn creatively together while harnessing the collective intelligence in the organisation to deliver integrated policy work and overcome silo mentalities. This award-winning, hands-on comprehensive toolbox helps you run and develop communities, networks and any other formal or informal structures that require collaboration and cooperation to work together with a common purpose and vision.
- Paul Matthews on defining learning workflow on the Training Journal podcast
- Instructionalists with Donald Clark on the Learning Hack podcast
- Five moments of need on the Learning Uncut podcast
Tools & Tips
- Dropbox Capture is a new free option for screenshots and screencasts.
- Reel is a handy tool for converting podcast snippets into engaging videos
- Xsplit Presenter helps you deliver interactive presentations from anywhere
- Beam is a video knowledgebase – like an internal YouTube.
- Blobs are surprisingly useful design elements – here are 100+ options for you
Where You Can Find Me
- Free Elearning & ID Tools with Tim Slade October 6
- DevLearn October 20-22
- New Jersey ATD – Future of Work – November 10
If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.