“Continuous learning is the minimum requirement for success in any field.”
– Dennis Waitley
Traveling is one of my favorite things…and so is getting back home. I think I’ve about readjusted to my own time zone and the kiddos are back to school again hitting the books. I’m encouraged by my 7th grader’s science teacher who is teaching the entire year in the context of a mission to Mars. Kinda makes me wish I could go back to 7th-grade science again. Since that’s not likely, I’ll just go ahead and share some of the learning, design and technology goodness I found for you this week.
How to leverage prior knowledge to enhance learning
Take a look behind a paper by Lydia Krabbendam, Martijn Meeter, and Marlieke Tina Renee van Kesteren to learn details about how existing memories can be harnessed to enhance learning. (@Nature_NPJ)
What makes one team smarter than another?
Dr. Anita Williams Woolley talks about how we tend to focus on individuals when trying to predict team performance and how the research actually shows that measuring collective intelligence is a far better indicator of success than any individual’s performance. Important things to know for building smarter teams!
Adding females tends to raise a team’s collective intelligence.
8 Skills For Learning And Development Professionals To Future Proof Your Career
Arun Pradhan (@arunzpradhan) thinks our profession is needed now more than ever – just not in its current form. I agree and you can read this post to form your own opinion. I’d love to hear what it is!
What is digital body language?
As digital interactions are becoming a larger, more important part of our lives this is a rich exploration of “digital body language” by Jo Cook (@lightbulbjo) gives you some things you should be thinking about.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Next week is the ElearningGuild’s Data & Analytics Summit and ATD Dallas’ Southwest Learning Summit
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
Apps & Tools
- Crello – Another design tool, like Canva, that makes it easy for anyone to make pro designs. They’ve made some nice improvements recently that are worth noting.
- Free webinar on “How to Create DIY Explainer Videos” by Common Craft’s Lee Lefever (@leelefever) Tuesday, Aug 21 at 11:00am PDT
- Learn How To Animate In 10 Days (And For FREE) With This Course from Motion Array
What I’m listening too
- Did you know that James Taylor has a son who is also a musician? We played this Ben Taylor Band album while we were expecting and it is how our son, Ben, got his name.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.