“There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth.” – Leo Tolstoy
It is getting to be my favorite time of year. There’s a hint of autumn coolness and things will soon be sporting all their amazing fall colors. No matter what the season, Friday always means that it is time for the best things from the learning, design, and technology world.
To Keep Pace, L&D Must Adopt an Ecosystem Mindset
I’ve been thinking on this topic a lot lately and this ATD article by JD Dillon (@JD_Dillon) is a good illustration of how we should think about the relationship of learning and working in the modern workplace.
Presentation Tips: Lessons Learned from Giving 100+ Talks and Webinars
If you ever present anything (and who doesn’t these days?) you know there is always room for improvement. This is a rich post of tips and lessons learned collected by Chad White (@chadswhite) of Litmus.
Make My Persona
Designer Q&A: Pushing the Limits of PowerPoint Animation
Do you make time for experimentation? I’m a big believer that it is time well-spent. It often leads to innovation and discovery of new techniques you can apply to your “real” work. This is an amazing example from Duarte’s Steve Wishman (@stevewishman). You’ve gotta see this to believe it is created in PowerPoint! (He exported it as a video for easy viewing, and here is a link to the PowerPoint file if you don’t believe it.)
The Best Free Tools for Amazing DIY Graphic Design
Fortunately, for all the non-designers among us, there are a number of newish tools that make it super easy for anyone to create professional looking graphic designs. These designs are light years ahead of the templates you’ll find in Microsoft Office and way more options to choose from for way more types of projects!
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- Picular is Google but for colors. Type in a word and get a related set of colors.
Apps & Tools
- Session Lab – SessionLab (@SessionLab) is the dynamic way to design your workshop and collaborate with your co-facilitators
- VectorMagic -Easily Convert JPG, PNG, GIF Files to PDF, SVG, EPS Vectors
- Free 16-Part Snackable Writing Course-Learn how to write persuasive content
- As We Speak: How to Make Your Point and Have It Stick
What I’m listening too
- I’m grooving along to the Euro Hotel Lounge vibe as I assemble things today – think hip, cool lounge music of a trendy European hotel.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
- September 18: Keynote for Central Ohio ATD “Learning Technologies & Design Day”
- October 2: Human Resources Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
- October 5: “Moving from Hype to Reality: Experiments with Microlearning” Greater Cincinnati ATD Fall Conference
- October 22 “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook“
Full day pre-conference workshop DevLearn Las Vegas, NV
- October 24 “Wired Not Tired: Is Curation the Cure for What Ails You?“
- December 13 – Elearning Webinar ATD Maryland.