“If you are deliberately trying to create a future that feels safe, you will willfully ignore the future that is likely.” – Seth Godin
The news of the week is that I’ve started a new gig, consulting with Change 4 Growth. First up is a big enterprise software platform rollout that looks like will have me tapping into a broad set of modern workplace tactics. I’ll also be back to navigating the world of corporate culture, firewalls, and all the things that come with it. Wish me luck?
Here is this week’s best from the learning, design, and technology world. Cheers!
Finding and Sharing Information
One of the challenges we face in our professional and personal lives is making sense of the flow of information that passes by us each day and then aligning that with our current priorities and challenges. Harold Jarche’s (@hjarche) seek > sense > share framework of personal knowledge mastery is a simple method to help us stay focused in our sensemaking. This should be required reading for everyone!
Vote for Your Top Tools for Learning
Voting for the Top Tools for Learning 2019 – the 13th Annual Digital Learning Tools survey by Jane Hart (@c4lpt) is now open. There are four easy ways for you to vote, so there is no excuse. Get over there and add your top tools now. You can see last year’s results here.
Build the bridge to self-learning: Help individuals help themselves
This is an important perspective for modern learning pros: “…the changing world of work means that L&D departments can no longer provide everything everyone needs at work to do their job now and in the future, and that every individual needs to take responsibility for their own continuous self-improvement and self-development – through DISCOVERY, DISCOURSE and DOING – in order for them to thrive in the modern workplace.”
PowerPoint: Simple Way to Build Graphics
You may know that I’m a pretty big fan of PowerPoint and creating your own custom graphics is one of the many reasons I like it so much. In this post, Tom Kuhlmann (@tomkuhlmann), has a lot of great tips for creating great graphics with PowerPoint
Education is not the same thing as learning
Seth Godin’s take is that adult learning is different from mandatory education. That adult learning is peer-to-peer and has few of the tropes and expectations of industrial education. That a video lecture is insufficient to actually learn something.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Clean Mock – Dead simple way to make beautiful mock-ups.
- 23 free device mock-ups every designer should have on hand
Apps & Tools
- Icon Drop – Get access to 1 Million+ design resources right inside Microsoft PowerPoint. Also for Photoshop, Google Docs and more.
- Dragula – Search for images by simply entering a keyword in the search bar. Dragula will find a random image for you relevant to your keyword.
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- How Attention Works: Finding Your Way in a World Full of Distraction by Stefan Van der Stigchel
- Email Marketing (and great for learning too) : Learn about Drip Campaigns & what they can do on Lynda [Check your library for free access]
What I’m listening to:
- Check in on the Elearning Fusion conference from Warsaw via #ELF19
- Catch the ElearningGuild “Best of DemoFest” webinar next Wednesday
Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You Never Knew, Akron, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Keynote, Columbus, OH
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.