“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” -Nelson Mandela
We´ve made it to another Friday and excitement is running high in our house for the end of the school year. I´m looking forward to a few days at the beach in a couple of weeks too. I hope this finds you excited about something that lies ahead for you? Here are this weeks best from the world of learning, design, and technology. Happy Friday!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
The Unmet Need for Trusted Talent Advisors
John Hagel (@jhagel) talks about the opportunity for “Trusted Talent Advisors” – someone who proactively helps us to learn faster by developing a deep understanding of our individual context, capabilities, and aspirations and connecting us with services and resources that will help us to achieve more of our potential.
How to repair corrupt PowerPoint files
At one time or another, you’ve likely faced the terror of “PowerPoint found a problem with content …”. I know I have. You’ll definitely want to bookmark this @brightcarbon post on how to repair corrupt PowerPoint file so you can avoid the stress of losing your work next time it happens.
Memory & Learning Breakthrough: It Turns Out That The Ancients Were Right
Michael Simmons on the benefits of ¨teaching¨ what you learn. “You don’t have to have an audience to teach nor do you have to be an expert. You’ll grow your audience and be seen as an expert by teaching.”
How Good Company Culture Can Go Bad
A good reminder from Paul Taylor (@PaulBromford)to evaluate if your organization is ¨keeping curious¨ and getting outside the bubble to engage new and varying perspectives.
Creating Impactful Content Starts BEFORE You Create the Content
Two simple tools that can help you make your content have a bigger positive impact.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Design Notes – great collection of just about anything design-related you could ever want
- Eagle – I’m putting this one on my list of things to try. Looks like a nice way to wrangle design assets.
Apps & Tools
- Parabol – This free online agile meeting tool looks potentially useful for any meeting, agile or not.
- Heights – interesting looking new online course selling platform.
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- Facts Aren’t Enough: The Psychology Of False Beliefs on the Hidden Brain podcast.
What I’m listening to:
- I’ve been digging these customizable background noises & soundscapes from myNoise while working recently.
- ATD ICE is happening next week in Washington DC. If you´re there, be sure to find Bianca Baumann and say hi!
Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- June 13: New Zealand Auckland Branch ATD Webinar
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Keynote, Columbus, OH
- October 22-25: DevLearn
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.