“A good man will not waste himself upon mean and discreditable work or be busy merely for the sake of being busy.” – Seneca
TGIF! I hope your week has been a good one. I´m not wishing away any time but I am looking forward to making my way LearningTechDay in Belgium. Here´s to everyone have something they’re excited about to look forward to. In the meantime, here are some learning, design, and technology gems for you. Cheers!
Thanks for reading! If you find anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
From Traditional Training to Modern Workplace Learning: A Framework
Jane Hart (@c4lpt) has shared a framework that includes activities for moving towards modern workplace learning that rightfully includes individual discovery, social learning and other important elements. Definitely worth spending some time for taking a deeper dive on this one.
Dual Coding & Learning Styles
Dig into this post by Megan Sumeracki (@DrSumeracki) on the Learning Scientists blog. Dual coding and learning styles sound similar but are not quite the same thing. While dual coding has scientific evidence backing its use, learning styles has been repeatedly tested and shown not to improve learning.
What is Broken with Assessments
This Sprout Labs (@RobinPetterd) podcast with Jenny Saucerman (@jennysaucerman) looks at what is broken with assessment in eLearning. L&D is becoming focused on performance-based learning and the missing element is often assessment. TDip your toes in to rethink your approach to assessments.
While you’re at it, check out Jenny’s recent Learning Solution slide deck “Show Me What You Got: Simulation as Assessment”
Social Learning: An Ongoing Experiment
If you´re thinking about social learning in your organization, buy-in may require rethinking what is being measured to assess impact. See what Ashley St. John (@ashleylstjohn)has to say in CLO magazine.
Better Slides for People In a Hurry
Simple, quick, and easy tips for an easy upgrade to your PowerPoint slides by smartly using SmartArt.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Mixkit Art is a curated gallery of beautiful art and illustration and it’s all completely free to use commercially!
Apps & Tools
- Freemium – you gotta have tools and who doesn’t like free?
- Otter Voice Notes – Generate rich notes for meetings, interviews, lectures, and other important voice conversations with Otter, your AI-powered assistant.
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- Brandon Carson explores how the digital transformation is affecting workplace performance on the Humans at Work podcast.
What I’m listening to:
- 50 great chillout tracks perfect for working or relaxing is what I’m spinning today.
I’m beyond excited to be in Belgium next week for the LearningTechDay conference hosted by Mathias Vermeulen June 17-18.
- Click! The Presentation Conference is wrapping up today in Seattle. #CreativeProWeek
Check out the upcoming conference action and please let me know if you see one I missed any.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Annual Event Keynote, Columbus, OH
- October 22-25: DevLearn Pre-Conference Workshop & Concurrent Session
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m always looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.