“A man ceases to be a beginner in any given science and becomes a master in that science when he has learned that he is going to be a beginner all his life.”Robin G. Collingwood
I’ve got to start with apologies to everyone who reads this via email. In experimenting with my workflow, I found a way that works great getting all the content to my website on WordPress but when MailChimp picked it up from there for the email version it looked bloody awful. My apologies. So for now, I’m back to the old way of doing things and your email should look way better than last week. Thanks for hanging in there with me while the man behind the curtain is pulling some levers.
Happy Friday! Thanks for reading.
What I’m Listening to: This week I’ve had the House Focus playlist running on a loop. It has been just what the doctor ordered with just a little bit of energy infused to help keep me focused on work.
Last week’s most clicked item:
How will the COVID-19 pandemic impact learning and development in the long term?
Ryan Tracey has a global collection of L&D pros share their thoughts on the long-term impacts of the COVID pandemic in this insightful post. Personally, I agree with Ryan when he says it will be “..a provocation to change learning and development for the better.”
Learning Is The Ultimate Competitive Advantage – Are You Ready?
This idea is good news for learning pros. But only if we start thinking in new ways. In today’s world everything is faster, more connected, and less predictable than ever before. As learning professionals, this rapid pace of change, means that we must move beyond the course-focused approach that has traditionally dominated most organizations.
I Create Videos for a Living. These Tools Make It Easy and Affordable.
Doug Aamoth shares a super helpful collection of tips on how to find free music and footage, record better sound, work with editing software, and whole lot more. These days it seems virtually everyone does at least some amount of multimedia work (including webinars) and there is something for everyone in here.
Global L&D Sentiment Survey Webinar
In this recorded webinar, Donald Taylor takes a look at the results of his annual L&D Sentiment Survey and unpacks what he sees in the numbers and what it may mean for the future of L&D.
The Presentation Podcast
There are only a select few podcasts that I eagerly look forward to every episode and the Presentation Podcast is at the top of that list. Even though I’ve never met any of them they feel like old friends and I always come away learning something useful. The current episode covers remote presenting and include Richard Goring, Mike Parkinson and Cliff Kennedy in addition to the regular hosts Sandy Johnson, Troy Chollar, and Nolan Haims. Add it to your playlist – you’ll be glad you did.
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- [PowerPoint] How to Preview Your PowerPoint files before opening them. So simple and SO helpful!!
- [Design] 13 Places to Find Beautiful Free Illustrations
- [Design] Free Stock Animation MOV files, GIF Animations, Vector Graphics & more from Videoplasty
- [Online Meetings] Add some of Zoom’s best features to Google Meet with this browser addin.
- [Collaboration] Witeboard.com is a super simple whiteboard app for your browser
- [Tips] 30 Incredibly Useful Things You Didn’t Know Google Calendar Could Do
Where You Can Find Me
I have a couple of events coming up:
- Sunday May 10 at Noon Eastern, Bianca Baumann and I will do an #AlchemyLabs session “Non-Designers Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning”.
- On Friday May 15th at 2pm Eastern I’ll be doing a Speaker Chat with the Elearning Guild on Spaced Learning.
- June 22-July 21 I’ll be part of the Learning & Development Conference This is new and different – check it out.
Conferences & Learning Events
L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.