“Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.”Denis Waitley
We’ve made it through another week. It sometimes feels like ages since all this has started but I’m grateful for the little things. My daughter’s laughter, the sun right after the rain, and good friends even at a distance. I hope you’re doing well and finding the simple pleasures in your world.
Happy Friday! Thanks for reading.
What I’m Listening to: I was excited this week to learn that the Windows Spotify app makes it easy to stream music through the Alexa in my office. Another simple thing for listening to my latest discovery, SINY.
Last week’s most clicked item:
I Create Videos for a Living. These Tools Make It Easy and Affordable
(The Right) Learning Modalities To Deliver Digital Learning
In part 3 of this series, Patti Shank takes a a deeper dive into the use and selection of asynchronous elements, as many suggest that they should be the major part of most online courses. Also check out part 1 and part 2 so you can get a good view of the entire learning modalities picture.
Viva la revolution! Why L&D must fight for its future in this time of change and uncertainty
Mike Bedford says that to realise L&D’s true potential, a radical change in mindset and reframed approach is essential. “What worked 50 years ago probably isn’t really that relevant anymore – things have moved on (a lot). We need to move beyond pedagogy and just let go of learning…we just need to facilitate, curate, enable and get out of the way.”
Engagement That Scales: Harold Jarche on Working Smarter
Rachel Happe talks with Harold Jarche where community fits in the future of work and learning. Topics they cover include choosing the right technology for what you are trying to do, how remote work exposes what works and what doesn’t for communications, and how the future of learning lies in community.
I just discovered this treasure trove the other day. If you want hundreds of useful resources for free and in one place? Check out the #onetipwednesday hashtag on LinkedIn. Did you know you can follow hashtags on LinkedIn? This is a great one to start with.
Resources To Support The Learning Community During Covid-19
Melissa Milloway has put together a few resources to connect people looking for L&D work with organizations who need them.
She’s also started a thread of opportunities available at Amazon where she works. another of her LinkedIn posts with Amazon job openings: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/melmilloway_inthistogether-elearning-instructionaldesign-activity-6664222016721297408-Pfmr/
Transcription: Best Free Way to Automatically Transcribe Video (Audio to Text)
This is one of those tips that will have you smacking your head and saying “why didn’t I think of that!?” This is a super simple and uber useful tip for getting transcripts of any audio or video.
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- [Tech] Krisp is an AMAZING way to eliminate the background noise from your online calls and meetings. Join with this invitiation link for a free month of the Pro level.
- [Design] Blush – Create, mix, and customize illustrations made by artists around the world.
- [Design] Visual Dev YouTube Channel – get tutorials, reviews, tips, tricks and more
- [Learning] Microsoft’s Learning Portal. Check out the introduction to Power Apps
- [Email] Postcards – Free HTML Email Template Builder
- [Slides] SharpSlide -Join the free public beta today for this slide design tool
Where You Can Find Me
I have a couple of events coming up:
- If you missed it, you can find the recording of the #Alchemy Labs session Bianca Baumann and I did last weekend “Non-Designers Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning”
- Later today (May 15th) at 2pm Eastern I’ll be doing a Speaker Chat with the Elearning Guild on Spaced Learning. It is free but you need to register.
- I’m excited to join an internal live conversation with learning pros at Nationwide on June 11th to talk about new perspectives on workplace learning.
Conferences & Learning Events
Check out the upcoming conference schedule
L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or connect with me on LinkedIn
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
Looking for a previous edition? Check out the archives