“Stop talking about what the good man is like, and just be one.”Marcus Aurelius
It has been a beautiful week around here with very comfortable days for being outside. Very un-August-like in a good way. Wherever you are I hope you’re getting to do something you enjoy and have a great weekend. Thanks for reading.
What I’m Listening to: I’m totally loving Hall & Oates Radio. It has been on a loop here most of the week and might be one of my new favorites.
Last week’s most clicked item:
What Makes a Good Instructional Video
Learn xAPI by Doing xAPI
Offered by Torrance Learning, the xAPI Learning Cohort is a free, vendor-neutral, 12-week learning-by-doing project-based team learning experience about the Experience API. (Yep, you read that right – free!) It’s an opportunity for those who are brand new to xAPI and those who are looking to experiment with it to learn from each other and from the work itself.
Evidence-based Ideas for Virtual Classroom Experiences
In this Learning Guild research report, Evidence-Based Ideas for Virtual Classroom Experiences, Jane Bozarth shares her findings on what makes for productive virtual learning experiences. You will find insight on instructional approaches and factors that support distance learning, examples of realistic practices, and the value that feedback holds for long-term learner retention.
Using Microsoft Forms for Quizzing
I’m a big fan of using online forms for learning-related tasks. (Here’s a great example using Google Forms.) This post walks you through how you can use Microsoft Forms for quizzing and capture all the related data, etc in a spreadsheet for evaluation.
How Glide can be used as a learning tool
Cath Ellis is at it again. (I don’t think she ever sleeps!) She’s started a fantastic series called “The Learning Pro Live”. It is a collection of experts sharing their wisdom on super interesting, relevant topics. Pop over and subscribe to this channel – you’ll be glad you did. In this one, Troy Ashman talks about how Glide Apps can be used for learning. Totally fantastic stuff!
How to create a design portfolio using Google Sites
Ashanti Henderson chats with Cath Ellis about how she uses Google Sites to create her design portfolio which you can see at https://www.ashantihenderson.com/
A few other things just because I can.
Here are three podcast episodes from this week that are worth a listen:
- In this episode of the Train Like You Listen podcast Myra Roldan, talks about how she leverages voice user interfaces as a training tool.
- On the latest ‘Learning Uncut’ episode, John Stepper and Katharina Krentz talk about Working Out Loud and the transformative impact it is having.
- How to tell stories that stick with Kindra Hall on the Speaker Lab podcast
Tools & Resources
- [Social Learning] – Free mini-MOOC about ‘Social Learning’ by aNewSpring runs Sept 8-18
- [Websites] – Build a free website without any code with Landen
- [Curation] – Zave – Simple Online Bookmarks for personal reference or share them with the world
- [Productivity] – Convert your Browser’s ‘New Tab’ into an amazing dashboard to track your to-dos with Dwij
- [Diagrams] – Isoflow allows you to create cool isometric diagrams
- [Icons] – Tabler Icons – 600+ Fully Customizable Free SVG icons
- [Learning Design] Build awesome learning scenarios in your browser with YoScenario
- [Learning] – Spokn is an interesting app that lets you curate articles via audio. Think of it like a podcast for written content.
If you like this section, you might also like my latest experiment – the L&D Toolbox daily newsletter. Get new tools and helpful resources in your inbox every weekday. Subscribe below.
Conferences & Learning Events
Check out the free mini-MOOC about ‘Social Learning’ by aNewSpring that runs Sept 8-18
Here are a couple of helpful resources if you’re looking for a L&D-related conference or webinar.
Where You Can Find Me
I’ll be judging the Central Ohio ATD’s Virtual Trainer’s Throwdown August 25th
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.