“Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.”John F. Kennedy
Hello again! The holidays are sneaking up on us and your ‘to do’ list might be looming large. Our friends over at BrightCarbon can help you check of the task of getting your holiday cards out with these cool digital options. (Yes, PowerPoint to the rescue yet again!) Just pick our your favorite from the 77 options, download and customize then share away.
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: I love the way Spotify recaps your year in music. Here is my top songs from 2020 playlist.
Last week’s most clicked item:
What is no code and why should you care?
6 High-Value Hacks L&D Can Learn From Marketers
As I’ve been saying for awhile now, marketing & L&D share the common goals of gaining attention and affecting behavior change. So why not “steal” some of their tricks? Here are 6 things L&D departments can learn from marketing.
3 Questions Answered By An L&D Giant: Richard (Dick) Clark
This is well worth a few minutes of your time. Lots of important info from Richard Clark in this one including:
- Working w/ multimedia? Look at Richard Mayer’s research
- Bloom’s Taxonomy? Irrelevant & wrong
- Evidence is huge against game-based learning
- “Expert” SMEs leave out 70% of knowledge needed
- Learning Styles don’t exist
- Myers-Briggs doesn’t work
- Generational differences don’t work
Learning Organization – What it Is and Why it Matters
Kari Kelly talks about learning organizations, a term coined by MIT’s Peter Senge. In short they are organizations that facilitate the learning of its members and continuously transform itself which enables the capability to survive and thrive in the midst of rapid change and high complexity.
20 insights on why organisations should change their thinking around ‘L&D’
No intro required for these insights from Paul Jocelyn. Just click in and check it out.
Accessibility Considerations in the World of Online Training & Learning
A good guide to accessibility from the Learning Guild written by Jane Bozarth, Nick Floro, Zoe Gipson, Susan Jacobs, Jean Marrapodi, Rachel Michael, and Vaishali Sangtani
A few other things just because I can.
Here are three podcast episodes from this week that are worth a listen:
- Tom Howell and the Endless Possibilities of PowerPoint
- The Crossover Between L&D and Digital Marketing – with Ashley Sinclair
- Using GIFS as Training Tools
Tools & Resources
For more tools & resources like these check out my Tech Toolbox posts where I post new tools to help you work smarter, not harder.
- Nocode = Google Docs to Documentation, Intranet, Blog or Website — Publish fast, secure & easy to manage websites built from your Google Docs. Use Nocode for your Blog, Documentation, Intranet, Research, Knowledge Base or your Website.
- Siteoly – Build websites from Google Sheets — The fastest way to build websites using Google Sheets
- Fast Poll – Create instant, real-time polls for free! — Fast Poll allows anyone to create a stunning, instant, real-time poll for free.
- SlidesPro — SlidesPro offers a set of tools and libraries to create more professional Google Slides. With handy Wizards to add images, YouTube videos, icons, GIFs, stickers, charts and maps.
- Hapen — Create beautiful event pages with built-in reminders. Expand your audience allowing them choose the preferred method of receiving notifications about your event.
Where You Can Find Me
December 18th – Noon Eastern
I’ll be hanging out with Shannon Tipton at her Learning Rebels Coffee Chat next Friday at Noon Eastern to talk about Learning Tools & Technology. Why not come join us – it is free!
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or connect with me on LinkedIn
Need someone to help your organization or someone to speak at your event, let’s talk!Get in touch
Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.