Happy Friday! Looks like we’re heading for a bit of a bone-chilling weekend around here. The high is only supposed to be in the teens (-10-ish Celsius). So we’ll be bundled up and thinking warm thoughts. I hope you’re well wherever you are. Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: This morning I’m checking out a random discovery, “Black Coffee” which is a nice background track for working along too. This might land a spot on my regular rotation.
Last week’s most clicked item:
Rockstar Resources for PowerPoint
Alternatives to Correct and Incorrect
Connie Malamed shares eight different ways to provide learning feedback. Check out some of your options for providing feedback that is meaningful because it corrects misunderstandings.
What Are Community Managers? Why Do We Need Them?
FeverBee has created this video to help you understand what community management is, why having a great community manager is so important, and the skills you need to be a great community manager.
From Cognitive Load Theory to Collaborative Cognitive Load Theory
Cognitive load theory has traditionally been associated with individual learning. This illustrates how and why cognitive load theory can throw light on collaborative learning and generate principles specific to the design and study of collaborative learning.
Talking Out Loud to Yourself is a Technology For Thinking
The idea that speaking out loud and thinking are closely related isn’t new. Learn about some of the benefits in this Psyche article by Nana Ariel
January’s Tech Toolbox
Over 100+ tools to help you get &%# done organized in categories for L&D and beyond.
A few other things just because I can.
Here are three podcast episodes from this week that are worth a listen:
- Behaviour Points with Julie Dirksen on The Learning Hack podcast
- Time to develop learning programs with Robyn Defelice on the Train Like You Listen podcast
- Developing Engaging Instruction with James Varlack on the EduDuctTape podcast
Tools, Tips & Resources
I recently passed 100 issues of my daily L&D Tech Toolbox newsletter. You can find those and subscribe here.
- Tribe – A community platform to increase engagement and drive results
- Jumpshare: Free File Sharing, Send Big Files, View Files Online Share unlimited files, screenshots, video recordings, preview 200+ file formats online
- PenPot – Free online open-source design platform & SVG prototyping tool
- Sorted³ – Sorted³ combines your tasks, calendar events and notes into a unified timeline
- Illustration Kit – Free illustrations for personal and commercial use.
Where You Can Find Me
- Learning Technologies UK Digital Experience 2021 – February 22
- Nashville ATD – Using Technology for Training – September 16
If you’re looking for a helping hand or someone to speak at your event, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.