I had the honor of giving an Ignite presentation at Creative Pro Week the other day. Twenty slides that auto-advance every 15 seconds. They’re fun. If you ever get a chance you should do one. I even learned that 3 asterisks in a row are called a dinkus from @jdshindler’s awesome presentation.
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: Zoe’s Extraordinary Adventures has become a family favorite (and one of the few everyone can agree to watch). The main character hears people singing their thoughts and each week they put out the soundtrack from the show. The songs this week are really great.
Last week’s most clicked item:
The 10 Essential Strategies for Deeper Learning
One Chart at a Time
As a companion to his book, “Better Data Visualizations: A Guide for Scholars, Researchers, and Wonks”, John Schwabish asked experts and friends in the data visualization field to record short videos explaining how to read and use different charts. This series with over 50 videos is the result.It is great. Check it out.
The Next Normal
The COVID-19 pandemic ushered in a new normal for L&D professionals as millions of people were sent home to work remotely. Ryan Tracey polled some L&D practitioners from around the world to answer the question: How will the COVID-19 pandemic impact learning and development in the long term?
‘I Don’t Have Time’ Is Not the Real Problem
In this post, Darius Foroux says we’ve all got the same 24 hours and a lack of time isn’t the problem. See what he says about setting a direction and selecting your priorities.
Animation in eLearning: PowerPoint Tips and Tricks
Along with some basic design principles, simple animations can make a big impact on learning content. This is a good post with examples of how animation can elevate your elearning.
Brain Research Confirms Stupidity Of Back-to-Back Meetings
Most people have way too many meetings at work. This sucks. And it’s frustrating. Brain research now confirms what we have all experienced: back-to-back meetings are stupid.
- Applying Social Learning Theory To Learning Design with Etienne and Beverly Wenger-Trayner on the Elearning Coach podcast
- Managing Virtual Training Burnout with Cindy Hugget on the L&D Lounge podcast
- The Future of Virtual Events with Christy Burch on the Speaker Lab podcast
Tools & Tips
- Nucleo is an app to organize, customize and export all your icons, with a library of 31260 icons.
- tabExtend lets you close and organize your tabs into Kanban-like lists for future reference.
- IRA Design Illustrations let you build your own amazing illustrations with their gradients & hand drawn sketch components.
- Root Illustrations is a stylish set of people-based illustrations that you can customize to create scenes for your projects. Build a scene and then snag your set of vector graphics.
- Building design presentation templates with Pitch by @femkesvs
Where You Can Find Me
- A Fresh Perspective on What’s Possible with Today’s Learning Technologies – June 10
- Canadian Elearning Conference – June 11
- Tools for Thinking Outside the Course with Bianca Baumann
- What Every eLearning Pro Should Know About NoCode with Mathias Vermeulen
- Kansas City ATD – June 17
- Nashville ATD – Using Technology for Training – September 16
If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.
Want more? Follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn.