Happy Friday! I’m excited for a boys outing with my son this weekend. We’re going back to my old stomping grounds at Miami University, exploring Cincinnati a bit and running a trail race. I’ll also be at DevLearn in Las Vegas next week. If you’re going to be there, drop me a note – I’d love to say hello in person!
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: Several people told me how much they liked Mother Mother last week so I’m still finding new music like that from the Mother Mother radio list.
Last week’s most clicked item:
The Better Deck Deck
Remote Work Can Be Better for Innovation Than In-Person Meetings
If you think being in the office means better collaboration, this article is for you. Research finds that the larger the in-person group, the fewer novel ideas each person has—but the opposite is the case for electronic brainstorming. Learn the seven steps for more inclusive and productive virtual brainstorming in this article.
Choice Architecture: Your Decisions Aren’t Entirely Yours
Eric Johnson’s latest book, The Elements of Choice: Why the Way We Decide Matters, explains “choice architecture”–how the design and presentation of options influences consumer decisions. It turns out that the person asking you to make a choice has a lot more influence than you think. Hop on over to learn more.
The Day You Became a Better Writer
A collection of simple yet valuable tips that will make your writing better from Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert.
TechSmith Video Viewer Study 2021
Jane Bozarth and Techsmith have whipped up a collection of data on why people start, stop, and keep watching instructional and informational videos along with some other valuable insights.
3 Rules for Better Work-Life Balance
Have you answered a work email during an important family event? Or taken a call from your boss while on vacation? According to behavioral scientist and Harvard Business School professor Ashley Whillans, “always-on” work culture is not only ruining our personal well-being — but our work, as well. She shares which bad habits are stopping us from getting what we need out of our free time and three practical steps for setting boundaries that stick.
- How Does a Great Learning Experience Deliver Value to the Business? with Peter Manniche Riber on the myHR Future podcast.
- Super charged skills for learning professionals with Joan Keevil and Dr Hannah Gore on the Mind Tools L&D podcast.
- Emerging stronger 2021 insights with Michelle Ockers, Laura Overton and Shannon Tipton on the Learning Uncut podcast.
Tools & Tips
- Giide is a cool idea for interactive audio . Hop over and see an example for yourself.
- Disabled and Here is a disability-led effort to provide free and inclusive images with photos and illustrations celebrating disabled Black, Indigenous, people of color (BIPOC).
- Splash is an event platform for virtual, in-person, and hybrid events.
- ProEditor is a slick mobile app that lets you automatically remove backgrounds and edit photos
- Snappy Forms is a nice option for collecting data from online forms
Where You Can Find Me
If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.