Discover the best independent writers.
Each morning, The Sample sends you one article from a random blog or newsletter that matches up with your interests. When you get one you like, you can subscribe to the writer with one click.
Sign up here.
powered by SwapStack
Happy Friday! COVID has hit our household. We’re all doing ok – just tired and taking lots of naps. My son had it a few months ago, so hopefully his immunity is still strong and he’ll get to skip this round. It stinks for my daughter whose birthday was yesterday. But at least I still got to give her birthday hugs. Hope your week has been great and COVID-free!
Thanks for reading.
What I’m Listening to: This Sunny Day playlist has me thinking about getting outside in the sun again soon!
(If you’re on Spotify, you can follow me here.)
Last week’s most clicked item:
10 Copywriting Tips Based On Persuasion Science
Creating Better Video For Learning
In this post, Patti Shanks shares what the evidence says about designing good instructional video. It discusses the attributes of media and technologies for digital or blended instruction, selecting content and social interactions, and the strengths and challenges of video.
Syncing Fast and Slow: How To Streamline Async Collaboration
This is an interesting article that includes 4 ways async work can streamline collaboration. “When your default is fewer meetings and more deep work, you have the chance to experience a calmer, more productive workday.”
Experts just give more advice, not better
“Skillful performance and skillful teaching are not always the same thing, so we shouldn’t expect the best performers to necessarily be the best teachers as well,” says lead study author David Levari of Harvard Business School in a media release.
Designing Learning Programs for a Hybrid Workplace
Many leaders are anxious about developing talent in a hybrid work environment. But because virtual learning can be scaled relatively easily; delivered flexibly and in ways that accommodate other ongoing work; and spaced to allow opportunities for learning to be embedded into long-term memory, built upon, and practiced, well-designed virtual learning has been shown to be as effective as in-person learning — and often more so.
- Free presentation design resources on the Presentation Podcast
- Why L&D Keeps Solving The Wrong Problems With Matt Bradburn on the L&D Disrupt podcast
- Learning workflows with Paul Matthews on the Learning Reinvented podcast
- Drop Deck can help you make beautiful slides super fast
- MyBoard is an easy-to-use platform for collaboratively creating and sharing links, notes, and more.
- Have you heard that Canva now has whiteboards? Yep, check ‘em out
- Shape is a collection of 36,600 fully customizable icons and illustrations
- Ava Maker is a fun app for creating avatars
- VOV Pitstop Antwerp – September 15
- DevLearn – October 24-28
– Breaking the Code Barrier: Making Your L&D Ideas Reality with NoCode Tools
– Using the Marketing Playbook to Score Better L&D Results
How was this week’s newsletter? Help me improve
As always, if you’re enjoying this letter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend or two. If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.
And should you come across anything interesting this week, send it my way! I always love finding new things to read or watch.