Stop being impressed by money, fame & status. Instead, be impressed by those who treat other human beings well, in both good times & bad. — Warren Buffet
We’re heading up to Wisconsin for our long holiday weekend. It is one of my favorite places to relax on the lake and of course, if you’re in Wisconsin you’ve gotta have some cheese curds! I hope this finds you doing well and here are some of the best things from the world of learning, design, and technology this week. Cheers!
Does eLearning Work? What the Scientific Research Says
In terms of learning effectiveness, it is NOT whether the modality is elearning or classroom instruction; the learning methods are what make the difference. Dig in to see what Will Thalheimer (@WillatWork) unearths from the research.
2018 L&D Global Sentiment Survey
Since 2014, Donald Taylor (@DonaldHTaylor) has asked L&D professionals world-wide what may seem a superficial question: “What do you think will be hot in L&D next year?” Dive in to see what this year’s Learning & Development (L&D) Global Sentiment Survey has to say.
Learning Is a Learned Behavior. Here’s How to Get Better at It
Many people mistakenly believe people are born learners, or they’re not, so why bother getting better at it? A growing body of research shows that we can all we can all improve our ability to learn through the deliberate use of practice and dedicated strategies. Ulrich Boser (@ulrichboser) gives us three practical ways to build your learning skills, based on research.
How to Run a Virtual Conference
Robin Petterd (@RobinPetterd) and the Sprout crew share some insights about how they went about planning and running the Learning While Working Virtual Conference event and some of the lessons they learned.
My Top Ten Tools for Learning
This is my list of top ten learning tools for Jane Hart’s annual top tools for learning survey. If you haven’t done one yet, what are you waiting for? You have until Friday, September 14th to add yours. Learn how here – it is super easy.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- I found this interesting looking digital workplace conference, “ICE by Igloo” The way work is changing seems like something we should all interested in, right?
- Check the backchannel for some of the good stuff from #xlrn18
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- Customize Your Noun Project Icons – With advanced editing features, you can now customize the color, size, rotation, orientation, background color and background shape.
Apps & Tools
- Live-Ask – a simple, free, and real-time service for the audience to ask questions before and during panel discussions, conference presentations, meetups, and more.
- Welcome.ly – Welcome.ly gives you a quick, easy way to build a great looking website for free.
- MindChimp Podcast A podcast where learning and development, employee experience, marketing, comms and corp culture come together hosted by Danny Seals (@) iTunes – You can catch Danny chatting about his podcast on Lloyd Dean’s The Future of Learning podcast. How meta is that?!
What I’m listening too
- Looks like rain in the forecast for our weekend at the lake so ‘Barefoot in the rain’ seems appropriate today.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
- September 18: Keynote for Central Ohio ATD “Learning Technology Day”
- October 2: “Professional Credibility & Visibility” Human Resources Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
- October 5: “Moving from Hype to Reality: Experiments with Microlearning” Cincinnati ATD Annual Conference
- October 22 “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook”
Full day workshop DevLearn Las Vegas, NV
- December Webinar: ATD Maryland.
- January ATD TechKnowledge