Our ability to grow is directly proportional to our ability to share. — @GapingVoid
Once again, it is time for the happy Friday dance! When you’re done dancing, here are some of the best things I found this week from the world or learning, design, and technology. Hope you have a fantastic weekend. Cheers!
Modern L&D should “facilitate interactions & relationships, allowing organizations to increase the flow of information within and across their organization’s walls to increase learning, adaptability, and … innovations.” This article by John Hagel (@jhagel) and John Seely Brown (@jseelybrown) is a must read for how we should be thinking about the future of workplace learning.
Networking for introverts, the shy and the socially anxious
Networking can be intimidating for a lot of people. In this post, Richard Cosgrove (@rcosgrove) shares how preparation can be the secret to tackling a networking event if you’re a person who struggles with socializing.
The New Science of Building Great Teams
This is an interesting and relevant finding from Alex “Sandy” Pentland (@alex_pentland)about the key to building great teams. Patterns of communication are the most important predictor of a team’s success. They are as significant as all the other factors—individual intelligence, personality, skill, and the substance of discussions—combined.
Tips to Improve Your PowerPoint Presentation from Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning
In this guest post on the Learning Scientists blog, Anna Navin Young discusses some key points from Richard E. Mayer’s Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning and how “spicing up” your slides can actually negatively impact your audience’s learning.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Content Marketing World took place in here my own backyard. Check out what they were up to in Cleveland this week via @CMIContent and #cmworld.
- Surf the #LearningLive hashtag to see what went down this week at Learning Live 2018
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- Color Leap | Do a little time traveling and browse the colors of history with this fun, cool site.
- If you ever need some fake data to mockup a project, Tabipsum can hook you up.
Apps & Tools
- Affinity Designer | download the beta for this free professional desktop publishing app.
- iLoveIMG | A fast, free web app for easy image modification.
- Marketing and L&D on the Lounge Podcast. Listen in on this conversation as Bianca and Jac talk about some of the ways L&D pros can leverage marketing tools and techniques. If you like what you hear, Bianca and I are leading a DevLearn pre-conference workshop on this.
What I’m listening too
- I’m working along to “Summer Fridays” this morning. (Seems appropriate given how hot it has been here this week.)
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
- September 18: Keynote for Central Ohio ATD “Learning Technology Day”
- October 2: “Professional Credibility & Visibility” Human Resources Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
- October 5: “Moving from Hype to Reality: Experiments with Microlearning” Cincinnati ATD Annual Conference
- October 22 “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook” Full day workshop DevLearn Las Vegas, NV
- December Webinar: ATD Maryland.
- January ATD TechKnowledge