“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” — Mark Twain
It has been pretty busy around here lately. Fortunately, it is the good kind of busy including getting ready to keynote at our local ATD (@centralohioatd) chapter’s annual event. I’ll be sharing some of what I think it takes to be a great modern learning professional. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I’d love to hear them! (Hint. Hint!)
Building a culture of continuous improvement, learning & development at work
Jane Hart (@c4lpt) says that work now needs to evolve into three overlapping streams to support the three ways of learning.
- Promote Continuous Learning
- Create Modern Content, Events, and Experiences
- Support Continuous Improvement at Work
Conversations and narratives are the new documents
Don’t miss this one from Esko Kilpi (@EskoKilpi) that includes gems like this: “Change occurs not so much as a result of new information leading to individual learning but when the patterns of connectedness between individuals change. Learning as a result of the print revolution was seen as an individual process. Learning as a result of the Internet revolution is an active process of communication between connected people.”
Instead of Microlearning, It Should Be Micro-doing
If your not 100% sure what exactly microlearning is, don’t worry. As long as your you’re aiming for right-sized learning that ends with action you’re on the right track.
The 10 Best Platforms to Create and Sell Online Courses
Having the expertise to teach is not enough: You’ll also need the right set of tools. This post from the @zapier blog takes a good look at all the nuts and bolts of creating online courses with the top 10 platforms. If you’re using any of these, I’d love to hear how you like it.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
It has been a pretty rich week on the conference front. Take a moment to cruise some of the good stuff in the backchannel from these:
- #HRTechConf will lead you to some of what went down at the HR Tech Conference (@HRTechConf).
- Surf the #ATDCORE4 hashtag for great stuff from people like JD Dillon, Danielle Wallace, Bianca Baumann and more.
- Over on the #Fusion18 hashtag you’ll find some good stuff from and for business communicators.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- Grab this free downloadable library of 150 Custom Color schemes for Microsoft #PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Trendy Palettes – Free and open collection of color palettes, updated daily.
Apps & Tools
- Pencil – An intelligent writing environment.
- I found “Welcome to the Writer’s Life” by Paulette Perhach (@pauletteperhach) at the library this week and it is packed with all kinds of writing goodness.
- Cathy Moore (@CatMoore) joins the GoodPractice podcast to talk about her fabulous action mapping technique.
- Presentation Podcast (@pres_podcast) Everyone likes being more efficient and almost everyone uses PowerPoint so you’ll probably want to tune in to this episode which is all about shortcuts. Nolan (@NolanHaims), Troy, and Sandy (@pptwiz) always have great insights.
What I’m listening too
- I’m starting the morning today with a little stripped down, acoustic pop.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 18: Keynote “Building the Modern Workplace Learning Professional” at the Central Ohio ATD Learning Technology Day
- October 2: “Simple Steps To Build Your Credibility And Signal Your Professional Expertise” Human Resources Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
- October 5: “Moving from Hype to Reality: Experiments with Microlearning” Cincinnati ATD Annual Conference
- October 22 “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook” Full day workshop DevLearn Las Vegas, NV
- December Webinar: ATD Maryland.
- January ATD TechKnowledge