“In times of profound change, the learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” – Eric Hoffer
This time of year is often a time for opening new chapters. For me, that means finding a new place to work helping people become more awesome at what they do. My time at Mindset Digital is ending in a few weeks, so if you know anyone who could benefit from working with someone like me. You can check out a good sampling of my work here for yourself or to easily share with someone else.
I’m not sure what that will look like yet. I’m looking for great people and organizations who understand that effective learning isn’t about the latest fad or trendy new tools and are more concerned with making a real impact than filling seats and checking boxes. If you know anyone like that, I’d love to hear from you.
3L’s of Self-Directed Learning: Insights from Tanmay Vora
Tanmay Vora (@tnvora) is someone you should know. In this post, he shares a few insights from his recent TED Talk and talks about his 3L framework for self-directed learning.
How to Develop Learning Agility
Another one of my favorite L&D folks to follow is Arun Pradhan (@arunzpradhan). Arun recently joined the Good Practice crew to talk about learning agility. If you don’t know what they mean, hop on over there right now and find out. It is something I believe everyone should be working on.
Just how important are digital skills for L&D?
I agree with Sukh Pabial (@sukhpabial) when he says that L&D needs to get much better educated in the potential and the utility of digital “…not because we should be delivering more through digital content, but because we are simply not making the best use of digital content and resources to fully realise what we can support with learning solutions.” Check it out.
A Measure of Social Learning Success is in Training’s Decline
Mark Britz (@britz) hits the nail on the head about measuring social learning. It doesn’t matter if it’s social learning or training (formal learning), it’s all about are people doing things better or differently because of an interaction (with content or a conversation).
How do Modern Workers Learn
In this video, Clive Shepherd (@cliveshepherd) takes a look at research conducted by Towards Maturity that looks at the preferences of more than 10,000 learners. The research provides some fantastic insights into the modern learner and dispels a number of myths.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- AECT International Convention open through February 14th
- Check the new and growing list for speaker submissions here.
- All in One Bookmark Links for Designers is a giant collection of useful design-related links & resources.
- Fugue Free Royalty Free Music — Much, much more picky than other marketplaces. Much, much cheaper than Hans Zimmer, In fact, it’s free for a link.
- Free PowerPoint Video template – You won’t believe your eyes when you see this template for making stunning videos in PowerPoint.
Apps & Tools
- elink.io | Turns web links into visually appealing newsletters, web pages and website embeds
- file.io – Simply upload a file, share the link, and after it is downloaded, the file is completely deleted. For added security, set an expiration on the file and it is
deleted within a certain amount of time, even if it was never downloaded.
- Arun Pradhan on the Good Practice podcast talking about learning agility
- Don Norman on designing a better world on the UX Cake podcast
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- January 30th: Free Tools for eLearning Spotlight Elearning Guild Online Event
- February 1: “The Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning” I4PL webinar
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
2 thoughts on “Friday Finds: The Best of Learning, Design & Technology | January 18, 2019”
Self-directed learning is the most successful method of book to brain knowledge transfer. Thanks