“I find it fascinating that most people plan their vacations with better care than they plan their lives. Perhaps that is because escape is easier than change.” — Jim Rohn
Many of us in the Learning & Development world are challenged by small or non-existing budgets. Fortunately, there are a ton of great resources and tools available to help even the most budget-challenged among us. I’m excited to be part of next week’s Elearning Guild online event, “Get the Best Free Tools to Make Great eLearning” on Wednesday, January 30. It is a full day of great e-learning pros sharing their top tips and recommendations for free tools. Come on over and join me, Tracy Parrish, Karl Richter and Deanna SSSS fun-filled day of toolkit filling freebies!
Filter Failure is a Human Failure
Harold Jarche (@hjarche) reminds us that if in a digital world “..our filters become our eyes and ears.” And that we should strive for connections to “… trusted communities that have the cognitive diversity we need to make important decisions.”
First Impressions Matter: How Designers Can Support Humans’ Automatic Cognitive Processing
In short, looks matter. This article by Therese Fessenden (@TBFessenden )from the Nielsen Norman group tells us how our first visceral reaction to a site’s design influences our perception of relevance, credibility, and even usability. Better design equals better products.
How to Write Your Reports in PowerPoint Instead of Word: Nine Tips for Getting Started
PowerPoint is worth your consideration for certain types of documents. Yes, that’s right. I said documents.
Nice Visscher (@nickvsppt) shares some tips for getting started. (It is super easy.)
Still not sold? Bet you’ll change your mind after you see this beautiful SlideDoc from Duarte (@duarte) They’ve even got some free templates for you.
People Who Read Live Longer and Have More Health Benefits
This great news for everyone in our house. “…reading is better at reducing stress levels than listening to music or drinking a cup of tea. The theory behind this is that reading absorbs the mind in a different world that allows people to escape their anxiety. Reading a newspaper might not have the same effect though because many stories can add further stress.” via Barbara Oakley’s (@barbaraoakley) Cheery Friday Emails
Marketing 101 for Org Learning
Mark Britz (@britz) says there are a lot of good things from marketing that L&D can take advantage of and the most important is “..going to where the attention is.”
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- AECT International Convention open through February 14th
- Check the new and growing list for speaker submissions here.
- 50 Best Free PowerPoint Templates on Behance
- UI Logos – 25+ professionally designed “dummy” logos for your mockup, design or presentations.
- UI Bundle – Discover great free design resources like fonts, icons, UI Kits, mockups and more
Apps & Tools
- Sheet-to-Site – Build a fully functional website with pictures, text, filters, and links from Google Sheets without writing code.
- Table-to-Site – Like Sheet-to-Site above but for AirTable instead of Google Sheets.
- Manage Memory for Deeper Learning: 21 evidence-based and easy-to-apply tactics that support memory while learning and beyond by Patti Shank
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- January 30th: Free Tools for eLearning Spotlight Elearning Guild Online Event
- February 1: “The Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning” I4PL webinar
- February 5-7 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You
Never Knew, Cleveland, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
2 thoughts on “Friday Finds: The Best of Learning, Design & Technology | January 25, 2019”
The Duarte link didn’t work.
Thanks for letting me know, Rick. It should be https://www.duarte.com/slidedocs/