“I cannot teach anyone anything, I can only make them think.” – Socrates
The warm, sunny weather in Florida was fantastic at the ATD Techknowledge Conference this week. As always the highlight was getting some face time with super smart people and making new friends to learn along with. Now I’m off to pack for next week’s Learning Technologies Conference and do it all again. If you’re going to be there let me know so we can say hello in person. Cheers!
Corral fast-moving learning technology and curation with a governance framework
When I talk with people about curation, governance almost always comes up-especially in a corporate environment. This Deloitte article by shines a spotlight on content curation governance and explores some controlling mechanisms to keep your curation efforts from spinning out of control
Why Wisdom Can’t Be Taught
The mere act of listening to wise statements and sound advice doesn’t necessarily ensure the transfer of wisdom. This great article by Manfred Kets de Vries explores some of the steps that can expedite the process of learning and some of the benefits of learning communities.
How We Teach Digital Skills at PwC
This HBR article by Mike Fenlon (@michaelfenlonny) and Sarah McEneaney (@sarahmceneaney) takes a look at what PwC is using what they call “Digital Accelerators” to develop the digital skills of their people. A few things central to their approach are Learning, Community, and Rapid Application.
Does Video Improve Engagement and Learning?
Patti Shank (@pattishank) tell us we need to be skeptical of wild claims about video improving engagement and learning, as much of the hype comes from an assumption.
The Ultimate Guide to Easily Make Instructional Videos
Once you’ve ready Patti’s article and sorted out the hype from reality, TechSmith has this great guide to making instructional videos. See what valuable insights Matt Pierce (@piercemr) can give you in this 5 part series.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Snag 300 great-looking, free Streamline icons.
- Try this free online live mockup app – Live Mockups
Apps & Tools
- Check out this recent #GuildCast to find a whole host of great ways to do great work on a shoestring budget. If you’ve never attended on of these you should drop by to see the L&D goodness Bianca Woods (@egeeking) and Mark Britz (@britz) cook up every Friday.
- Video Conferencing Software Showdown: Zoom vs. GoToMeeting
What I’m listening to:
- Nothing better than some of my favorite 80’s tunes for this busy Friday morning.
There was a flurry of conference action this week including:
- Peek in on the happening from ATD TechKnowledge which is wrapping up today. #ATDTK #ATDTK19
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- AECT International Convention open through February 14th
- Submissions Due March 1st! — The 2019 International E-Learning Awards – Business Division
- Check the new and growing list for speaker submissions here.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You Never Knew, Cleveland, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.