“When I’m reading, I’m looking for something to steal. Readers ask me all the time the traditional question ‘Where do you get your ideas from?” I reply: ‘We are all having ideas all the time. But I’m on the lookout for them. You’re not.’” —Philip Pullman
It has been a webinar kind of week for me. In the first half of the week, I tried to steal a few peeks into the TLDC live-streaming goodness. Then it was my turn do a couple of really fun ones. Wednesday was an eLearning Guild Spotlight that was all about the “Best Free Tools to Make Great eLearning” (#elgspotlight) and later today (Friday) I get to team up with Bianca Baumann for “Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful eLearning”
It was a great week for webinars since our thermometers were way too far below 0℉. Hope you’re staying nice and warm wherever you are. Cheers!
CORRECTION: Last week I shared that I’m on the lookout for what is next professionally and then put a bad link to my gallery of work. The proper link is https://muralapp.io/miketaylor It is worth a look to check out the Mural App even if you could care less about my work. 😎
Lessons from Corporate Nudging
Take a peek into some of the things happening with companies using behavioral science to improve customer and employee behavior and well-being. This McKinsey article by Anna Güntner, Konstantin Lucks, and Julia Sperling-Magro explore six questions to consider for anyone considering this type of behavioral approach.
The Best Screen Sharing Software in 2019
Screen sharing is an indispensable tool for virtual collaboration and support. Zapier´s great blog does it again with some valuable insights on 13 of the best options including options for video conferencing, remote access or basic easy to use options.
Which Tool Types Do Workplace Learning/eLearning Practitioners Use?
Check out Patti Shank´s (@pattishank) eBook to discover which tools and technologies workplace learning practitioners actually use, their most essential tool types, and the tool types they are considering for use in the near future!
Powerful Learning is Collaborative and Connected
This is the third in a series, Stefani Pautz (@stefanipautz) and Josh Weisgrauhow talk about how Powerful Learning is collaborative and connected, share research that grounds these two principles, and provide resources to support your own learning and teaching practices.
10 Easy Ways To Send And Share Your PowerPoint Presentations
Millions of PowerPoint decks are created every day and often they need to be shared with others. Next time youŕe in this boat, here are 10 ways from 24Slides (@24slides) you can consider for getting the job done. (You can also check out some of their free slide templates while you´re over there.)
Thinking Outside the Course: Free Tools for Making E-learning Better
Many of us who design learning are challenged to find the right tools for the job on a limited budget. Fortunately, there are a number of free tools that can help you conquer this challenge and stretch your budget far beyond what you ever thought possible. Here are my slides and related materials for some really good free ones. Bet you´ll find at least one you´ll want to try out!
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- 80+ 80+ Free MailChimp Templates to Kick-Start Your Email Marketing
- Font Pairing tool by DesignBold – Pick a font and get suggestions for others to pair it with
Apps & Tools
- Moose Photo Creator – don´t search for stock photos, CREATE them!
- FontFace Ninja – Fontface Ninja is a free browser extension that let you inspect, try, buy and bookmark any fonts on any website
- Cindy Hugget (@CindyHugg) shares her expertise on virtual classrooms on the latest episode of The Lounge Podcast
- Cambridge Book of Multimedia Learning – comprehensive, up-to-date analysis of research and theory in the field of multimedia learnaing
- Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War. ¨Boyd took on idiocy where ever he found it, whether with bombastic Pentagon generals who were happy to fake important tests, or those who thought they could outgun him in the air.¨
There was a flurry of conference action this week including:
- Future of Educational Technology Conference (FETC) | Hastag: #FETC
- The Training, Learning & Development COnference| Hashtag: #TLDC19
- LearnTec | Hashtag: #LearnTec2019
- Learning Technologies France | Hashtag: #LTFrance19
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
- EdMedia + Innovate Learning Call for Presentations and Papers is open through January 30th.
- AECT International Convention open through February 14th
- Submissions Due March 1st! — The 2019 International E-Learning Awards – Business Division
- Check the new and growing list for speaker submissions here.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- February 1: “The Non-Designer’s Guide to Crafting Beautiful Elearning” I4PL webinar
- February 5-7 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You Never Knew, Cleveland, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.