The number one factor in engagement is relevance because relevance drives out resistance.” Clive Shepherd
Happy Friday once again! I hope this finds you doing well and looking forward to something fun this weekend. I’m happy to see the days starting to get a little longer and the temperatures hopefully starting to trend back up in the right direction.
Here are this week’s finds. Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: This morning I’m working along to these 70s & 80s acoustic tunes
Last week’s most clicked item:
3 Myths You Need to Reject to Make More Visual
Content with Simplified Graphics
What Will Be Hot in Workplace L&D In 2020
If you think there’s too much noise out there and not enough hard fact, you’re not alone. Take a look at the results of Donald Taylor’s (@donaldhtaylor) seventh annual Learning & Development Global Sentiment Survey to help you plan your L&D strategies for 2020 and beyond. You can also join Don to hear more about it in an upcoming webinar.
The Spacing Effect: How to Improve Learning and Maximize Retention
I feel like I’ve shared this before? I haven’t cool…even if I have, I’m gonna share it again because I think this is an important concept that everyone should know. And you should be subscribed to the Farnam Street blog cause if you’re not you’re really missing out on a lot of good stuff.
Our New Role: Bringing Kindness To Work
People want meaningful jobs, fair pay, transparency, and growth. But most of all, they want kindness.
My biggest social media mistake
Great point from John Stepper (@johnstepper) about experiencing how, through the purposeful sharing of contributions using different tools, you can become more effective and increase the chances of coming into contact with more opportunities.
Why Refusing to Discuss Failure Erodes a Culture of Growth
Success theater is, at its core, an informal operating system that says to employees: “you’re expected to win, and you should only discuss wins. Failures need not be exemplified.”
A few other things just because I can.
Tools & Resources
- [voice apps] Voiceflow – Design, prototype and build voice apps in your browser with no coding
- [design] Sleek Bundle – free collection of illustrations for your next project
- [design] Glaze curated royalty-free illustration library
- Nine Good Sources of Public Domain & Creative Commons Audio
- [learning tech] Did you know SurveyGizmo has xAPI integration?
- [tools] Draw, diagram and collaborate with Creately.
- [tools] Screencastify is a slick screencast tool for Chrome
- [tools] Krisp AI-powered noise cancellation meeting dialer. Cancels out background noise on your end of the call.
Conferences & Learning Events
- ATD TechKnowledge is in San Jose next week. Follow along via #ATDTK2020
- Learning Technologies 2020 is coming up on February 12-13 in London. Follow @LearnTechUK and #LT20UK
- LearnTec is was this week in Germany. Check @learntecnews and #learntec2020 to peek in on the festivities
- Check out the upcoming conference schedule
- L&D webinars and professional development events calendar by Kari Knisely (@KariKnisely)
Call for Speakers:
- LearningTechDay in Belgium is looking for some good speakers. Could that be you?
- TechLearn Conference 2020 in Austin | Call for Presenters (Deadline is March 2) https://buff.ly/2OdNxZx
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.