“We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That’s a clear prescription for disaster”.Carl Sagan
We have just started some work updating the bathrooms in our house, which means we are without a shower for about a month. So far my ‘military baths‘ with the hose in the backyard haven’t been too bad. But if the weather turns cold I just might show up at your door begging to borrow your shower. Consider yourself warned!
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: This playlist has just right mix of calm and energy today from Alec Benjamin, The Chainsmokers, Galantis and more
Last week’s most clicked item:
How to pick more beautiful colors for your data visualizations
Innovating with PKM
There’s nobody better than Harold Jarche to layout how working and learning out loud are essential practices that can change the nature of work. Grab your copy of the chapter on PKM from his Perpetual Beta series.
Curators Are the New Creators
With the explosion of content that we’re experiencing it’s becoming increasingly difficult to disaggregate the signal from the noise. As the amount of content grows, so does the market for credible curators.
Why Do So Many People Want Us Back In The Office?
Paul Taylor looks at the office versus remote work and says that it’s not a binary choice we need to make. The best thing you can do in any period of change is to bet on neither black or white. The future will be made up instead of shades of grey where few things are certain and the best you can do to prepare is to be endlessly adaptable.
Send Custom xAPI Statements Without Code
Devlin Peck is back with more elearning goodness to show you how to send xAPI statements without needing to code anything. He show how to use one of my favorite tools, Zapier to do the heavy lifting for you.
The Pivot From ‘Learning’ To ‘Performance’ with Guy Wallace
In this episode of David James’ Learning & Development podcast, he spoke with Guy Wallace, a pioneer of performance-focused L&D, about what it’s going to take for the L&D profession to shift its orientation from ‘learning’ to ‘performance’. Guy shares a lot of great insights here including ““Inside Every Fat Course is a Thin Job Aid Crying to Get Out” and more!
A few other things just because I can.
Here are three podcast episodes from this week that are worth a listen:
- I had a lovely chat with Yolanda Faction on her L&D Lounge podcast this week.
- Robin Petterd talks with Ray Jimenez about Using Scenarios to Transform Your Virtual Classroom Sessions on the Learning While Working podcast
- This week on the Good Practice Podcast, Dr Ina Weinbauer-Heidel talks about the 12 Levers for Learning Transfer
Tools & Resources
For more tools & resources like these check out my weekly Tech Tuesday Toolbox posts.
- Descript | Overdub – Record. Transcribe. Edit. Mix. As easy as typing. Take control of your audio and video with Descript. In addition to easy editing, the Overdub feature lets you create ultra-realistic text to speech of your own voice.
- Whimsical – Communicate visually at the speed of thought – collaborative flowcharts, wireframes, sticky notes, and mind maps.
- Office Lens – Office Lens trims, enhances, and makes pictures of whiteboards and docs readable using your smartphone. You can use Office Lens to convert images to PDF, Word and PowerPoint files, and you can even save images to OneNote or OneDrive.
- Remote Control – Promptr is a great, easy to use, and free browser-based TelePrompter.
- Notion – A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. It’s the all-in-one workspace for you and your team.
Conferences & Learning Events
Here are a couple of helpful resources if you’re looking for a L&D-related conference or webinar.
- DevLearn is going digital.
- Check out the upcoming conference schedule
- L&D Webinars for this month by Limestone Learning
Where You Can Find Me
September 29 Mid-New Jersey Technology Showcase Keynote
November 20 Central Indiana ATD Virtual Learning Summit
Online master class for the VOV Network in Belgium with Bianca Baumann starting in November.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or connect with me on LinkedIn
I love talking about learning, design, and technology. If you’re looking for a speaker, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
Looking for a previous edition? Check out the archives