“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.”Amelia Earhart
Happy Friday! I’m excited to have a working shower in the house again after 4 weeks of imposing on friends and “bucket showers” in the back yard. I’m glad the weather has mostly cooperated but not as glad as I’ll be to be able to shower anytime I want. It really is the simple things in life!
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: I’m needing something with a little energy without being distracting to work to today – this “Lounge-Soft House” playlist is just what the doctor ordered.
Last week’s most clicked item:
When Training Is The Wrong Solution
Learning Theories Timeline
This interactive learning theories timeline highlights 50 key ideas or research papers related to nine key theories which can inform the design of blended and online learning.
A transformation of the learning function: Why it should learn new ways
Companies rely on their learning-and-development functions to help workforces learn fast. But often, the function itself needs a transformation. Dig into this thought provoking article to see if you agree that “most L&D functions today are overly stable—to the point of rigidity”
Media Will Never Influence Learning
Richard Clark discusses some different points of view about the impact of media and attributes of media on learning, motivation and efficiency gains from instruction. In short, when it comes to learning, the instructional method is the key – not the media used to deliver it.
Expert Tips for Using PowerPoint Presenter View in Zoom or Teams
Dave Paradi shares some great tips for using PowerPoint’s Presenter View in online meetings or webinar sessions. This is a creative use that many, including me, may not think of without a little nudge. This really is a better way to share and manage your slides when presenting online. Also be sure to check out his complete guides to using Presenter View in Zoom and in Teams.
20 Questions L&D should ask before talking about training!
This free ebook from Jeff Kortenbosch gives you a set of questions to have answered before starting any training project. These 20 questions will help you step out of the role of order-taker and into the role of a trusted business partner by focusing on getting to know more about the problem and not jumping into the solution.It even comes with a handy Word template document to help you capture the answers.
A few other things just because I can.
Here are three podcast episodes from this week that are worth a listen:
- Adopting a Growth Mindset in an Organization with Katrina Moss on Michelle Ocker’sLearning Uncut podcast.
- Driving Performance Through Learning with Andy Lancaster on David James Learning & Development podcast
- Learning Campaigns with Amy Lou Abernathy on Brian Washburn’s Train Like You Listen podcast.
Tools & Resources
For more tools & resources like these check out my weekly Tech Tuesday Toolbox posts where I post 50 new tools every other week to help you work smarter, not harder.
- Lunacy – Free graphic design software for Windows with built-in assets
- PicPick – All-in-one Graphic Design, Screen Capture Software, Image Editor, Color Picker, Pixel Ruler and More
- easel.ly –create and share visual ideas using infographics
- Justinmind – Free prototyping tool
- CloudApp – Screen Recording Software for Mac & PC |
- Lucidspark – A Virtual Whiteboard with Real-Time Collaboration
- Feedly – Keep up with the topics and trends you care about
- Vizia – Interactive Videos: The end of passive viewing
- SpreadSimple – a blazing-fast way to create and manage websites using Google Sheets
- Woven – Combine multiple calendars and tap into powerful scheduling tools.
Conferences & Learning Events
Here are a couple of helpful resources if you’re looking for a L&D-related conference or webinar.
- Check out the upcoming conference schedule
- L&D Webinars for this month by Limestone Learning
Where You Can Find Me
October 19-30 – DevLearn DDX Conference
Online master class for the VOV Network in Belgium with Bianca Baumann starting in November.
November 10 – Nationwide’s “Modern Digital Learning” (Internal webcast)
November 20 – Central Indiana ATD Virtual Learning Summit
December 3 – Understanding Learning Trends (Learning Guild)
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or connect with me on LinkedIn
Need some help with your learning, design, or technology? Looking for a speaker, let’s talk!
Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.