Happy Friday! We are wrapping up our birthday week for the boys in our house. I’m grateful that I got to see my dad for lunch and for all the birthday wishes that remind me of all the times and places I’ve spent time and made friends. My bucket is overflowing with gratitude today.
Thanks for reading!
What I’m Listening to: I’m back to an old favorite today, listening to Kygo as I wrap up my week.
Last week’s most clicked item:
Evidence-Based Perspectives on Hot L&D Topics
Agile Learners: The Foundation for an Organization That Thrives
Lifelong learning is now roundly considered to be an economic imperative and “the only sustainable competitive advantage.” In today’s era of accelerating change, disruption has become commonplace. Organizations need to implement strategies to become more resilient, adaptable, and able to capitalize on new opportunities.
Remedies for the Distracted Mind
Cognitive neuroscientist Adam Gazzaley and psychologist Larry Rosen make a convincing case for what you may have already been thinking: your brain is not well adjusted to our engaging—and distracting—modern world. Here they show you what the science says you can to do harness your distracted mind.
This article is part of a special issue “Connected State of Mind,” which explores the impact of tech use on our behavior and relationships. View the complete issue here.
No One Cares
Marcus Aurelius observed almost 2,000 years ago, “We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own.” Many of us could become better off if we learned to care a good deal less than we do. In this article, Arthur Brooks recommends taking three steps to help with this.
Conference Recordings & Resources
This week was jam packed with learning opportunities. It is going to take me awhile to catch up on all the goodness. Here are the events I was keeping an eye on this week. Did you drop into any of these? Did you glean any valuable takeaways?
- Learner Engagement Summit
- Learning Guild’s Learning 2021 conference
- NoCode Conference
- Canva Create Conference
L&D Gift Ideas
Do you have friends or family in the L&D world? Or maybe you’re looking for yourself? No matter, this guide from the Learning Guild offers ideas, advice, and inspiration for selecting the right gift for anyone with a passion for learning and development.
- Curation in L&D with Mike Shaw on the L&D podcast.
- Self-directed learning success with Catherine Lombardozzi on the Learning Uncut podcast.
- Making a career pivot towards corporate training with Asha Aravindaskshan on the Train as You Listen podcast.
Tools & Tips
- 7Taps is microlearning made easy
- Glide Pages Transform your data into beautiful, powerful web apps & websites
- Virtually is the easiest way to automate your private Zoom events
- Umso is a great way to build a website quickly and easily.
- Short.io is a white label link shortening tool
Where You Can Find Me
- Learner Engagement Summit – Now available on-demand
If you’re enjoying this newsletter, I’d love it if you shared it with a friend. You can send them here to sign up.
Want more? Follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn.