“A little learning is a dangerous thing ; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring : There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again.”
While in Seattle earlier this week to lead an ATD Storyline Certificate course I got to check out some pretty cool things like the Spheres, Amazon Go, and hang out a bit with Melissa Milloway (@MelMilloway) and Miranda Lee (@techyalater) as an added bonus.
What have you found recently? Leave a comment and share it with us!
Is it possible to create engaging software training?
Brian Washburn (@FlipChartGuy) explores the question of whether there are any instructional strategies that can lead to more engaging software training? If ever do any software training, Brian will show you how a little creativity can go a long way. Even if you don’t, you should hop over there and subscribe to his blog anyway. You’ll be glad you did.
Best of Learning Solutions DemoFest 2018
This webinar showcases some of the award-winning learning projects presented at DemoFest at Learning Solutions 2018 Conference & Expo.
Adobe Spark for Educators
I found this one from Jonathan Wylie’s great blog. Check out his post for more details about how your school can use a premium version of Adobe Spark for free.
Sketch.The.Ripper: Free Tool Shows Your Sketch File Contents
A couple weeks ago I shared Lunacy, a windows app for editing .sketch files which were previously a Mac-only affair. For those times you don’t need to edit and only want to get stuff out, Sketch.The.Ripper is a free online tool powered by the Lunacy engine that lets you extract the objects from a .sketch file.
The Workplace Is Killing People and Nobody Cares
A new book by Jeffrey Pfeffer (@jeffreypfeffer) “Dying For a Paycheck” examines the massive health care toll today’s work culture exacts on employees. He contends that common work situations like poor work/life balance, long hours, etc are hurting engagement, increasing turnover and making people unhealthy.
61 percent of employees said that workplace stress had made them sick and 7 percent said they had actually been hospitalized
A few other things just because I can. 😎
Recently added design resources:
- Moose by Icons8 — Interesting new option for free stock photos that match each other https://buff.ly/2Ja5Eva You can even download them all as a big .zip file.
- Last week’s #GuildChat was a good one with lots of good tips and insights on learning from conferences. https://twitter.com/hashtag/GuildChat?src=hash
- I think there are a lot of good things L&D should steal from marketing. Drip ran a nice online conference rich with steal-worthy ideas. Check it out via the #automated18 hashtag.
Apps I’m trying out this week:
- BellHop – Bellhop connects the major ride hailing apps (Uber, Lyft, etc) , creating price transparency and giving you the freedom to choose the ride that works best.
What I’m listening to today:
- It’s a beautiful morning here in the 614, perfect for a few “Acoustic Covers & Mashups”.
Thanks for reading! If you like this newsletter, forward it to a friend or tweet me some love! 😎
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in mySpeaking and Workshop Information Sheet.