I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness. Nana Mouskouri
I’m in New Orleans today for the inaugural edition of the Click! Presentation Design Conference which is part of Creative Pro Week (@CreativeProWeek). I’m excited to be part of a panel discussion hosted by David Blatner (@dblatner) with Richard Goring (@RichardGoring), Rick Altman (@rickaltman), and Joe Buchwald talking about presentation and elearning design. This is a particularly rich week with valuable finds on these types of learning, design, and technology topics.
A Visualization Prescription for Impactful Data Storytelling
If you find your presentations are often met with a lukewarm reception, it’s a sure sign it’s time for you to invest in your data storytelling. Learn about Lea Pica’s (@LeaPIca) prescription for telling impactful stories in her Whiteboard Friday episode with Rand Fishkin (@randfish )
A New Paradigm For Corporate Training: Learning In The Flow of Work
Work is learning. Josh Bersin (@Josh_Bersin) dives deep into this idea of learning in the flow of work and the fact that “…obstacles to growth are not always technical, they’re in our own minds. We don’t really use new technology well until we change the way we think.”
Good Practice Podcast Top 5 Episodes
Launched back in May 2016, the GoodPractice podcast is a weekly show that has fast become a must-listen for anyone working in Learning and Development., They’ve reached the 100 episode mark and these are their top 5.
- Episode 59 – How can L&D support performance?
A detailed look at performance support with Axonify’s principal learning strategist JD Dillon (@JD_DIllon)
- Episode 60 – What is the future of work? David D’Souza,
Head of Engagement and London at the CIPD talks about the core issues and trends that are having an impact on the world of work..
- Episode 55 – How can L&D start delivering online learning?
Ger Driesen (@GerDriesen) from ANewSpring talks about technology and how organizations can get started with online learning.
- Episode 49 – Evidence-based practice for HR and L&D
Mark Hendy (@markhendyhr)talks about whether we’re correctly applying evidence-based principles in our practice.
- Episode 57 – Organisational design: Should L&D fight the system?
In this episode, Mark Britz (@britz) joins the crew to debate just how far L&D should challenge an organization’s existing structures and internal processes.
Manage Memory for Deeper Learning
The latest in Patti Shank’s (@PattiShank) wonderful series on learning, this one covers 21 evidence-based and easy-to-apply tactics that support memory while learning and beyond. Like the previous books in this series, this is a valuable addition to your personal library.
How to design user interfaces with the Golden Canon Grid
Not to be confused with the Golde Ratio, Jule Terberg (@JulieTerberg) tipped me off to Adrián Somoza (@AdrianSomoza) and the Golden Canon Grid that he uses for designs ranging from websites to other smaller pieces like Facebook covers, profile pics, etc. Be sure to grab the free template so you can give it a try yourself.
5 Easy Steps To Becoming A Better eLearning Designer
No matter where you are in your career, you should always be looking for ways to improve. Here are five things you can do to become a better elearning designer.
A few other things just because I can. 😎
- There is tons of great stuff coming from the #CreativeProWeek conference. If you design anything, (and we all do!) you’ll want to take a look.
- Meanwhile down in Australia, they’re #AITD2018 conference has been in full swing this week.
- Looking for your next conference? Check my global collection of L&D events.
- Pandacolors – Pandacolors is simple online web tool for generating colors in one single click. Because graphic designers are not the only ones who have to think about choosing the right colors.
Apps I’m trying out this week:
- ImageBlur.io – Ever need to blur private or any other info in a screenshot or graphic? ImageBlur lets you do it right in your browser and it is super quick and easy!
- Dream Teams: Working Together Without Falling Apart – This book takes you on an adventure through history, neuroscience, psychology, and business, exploring why collaboration so often fails and how to succeed.
- A Mini-MOOC for Learning Executives Intrepid Learning (@IntrepidLS) started this week. Hop over and see what’s happening.
What I’m listening too
- Since I’m in New Orleans this morning, this New Orleans jazz has my toes tapping and looking for a beignet.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet. 😎
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.