A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father. — Frank Abagnale
Here in the US we’re celebrating Father’s Day this weekend. No matter where you are, I hope you’re able to reflect fondly on a dad who is or was as great as mine. Here is what I’ve rounded up for you this week. Enjoy!
Marketing tips to elevate your L&D efforts
Yvonne Chen (@chenennovy), VP of Marketing at Udemy for Business, talks about tactics for engaging and inspiring learners. What lessons can L&D practitioners learn from the world of marketing? What are the specific challenges of marketing in a learning context?
How to make brain friendly learning that sticks
Learning Psychologist, Stella Collins (@StellaCollins) offers six key ways you can work with the brain to help make learning stick, all wrapped up in the useful (and brain friendly) acronym: LEARNS.
“Sometimes what feels easy actually makes learning harder.”
Writing emails people will read, understand and reply to
Email. Love it or hate it, everybody uses it and most people are pretty bad at it. Here are Alexander Skogberg’s (@Skogberg) best tips for writing emails people will read, understand and (most importantly) reply to.
This weekly newsletter by Jói Sigurdsson (@joisig) is fantastic. Whether you plug it into your feed reader or subscribe via email, you’ll get a collection of the latest tools and resources that will help you do better work.
Better Than Bullet Points: Alternative Text Slide Designs
At the Click! Presentation Design Conference in New Orleans last week Kristina Heaps shared some real-world examples of converting bullet points into alternative formats that improve the comprehension and retention of the information presented. The best thing about this approach is how easy it is to do. Here are some examples along with a few PowerPoint slides you can download and use for yourself.
A few other things just because I can. 😎
Did Karl (@elearningblends) just make a rap video? Why, yes. Yes, he did!
- Learning Dev Camp (@LearningDevCamp) took place this week with lots of great topics and speakers worth checking out via the #LDC18 hashtag.
- The Learning Technologies Summer Forum (@LT18uk) was another event worth browsing that happened this week. Cruise the #LTSF18 hashtag for more.
- Looking for your next conference? Check my global collection of L&D events.
- Design Bold – If you like Canva, you’ll like this online tool for designing graphics, flyers and almost anything else you need!
Apps I’m trying out this week:
- Whimsical.co – online mind maps, flow charts, and wireframes done right.
- Mobile Mockup – The simplest way to create beautiful mobile mockups.
- PowerPoint, You Co-Facilitator by Brian Washburn
- Learning Uncut
- Creative Pro Week Free courses on Lynda.com (aka LinkedIn Learning)
- Cleaning Data in Excel by Maarten Lambrechts (@maartenzam)
What I’m listening too
- Being in New Orleans last week reminded me how much I love Louis Armstrong. Puts a smile on my face every time.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet. 😎
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.