If we stop going, we stop learning…and If we’re not willing to keep
learning, we should probably stop going. — Seth Godin
I’m in Washington DC this week leading an Articulate Storyline workshop at the ATD mothership. I can guarantee you that we’ve been working harder than all the politicians who are just up the road from us. And so you can keep up the hard work you do, here are the best things I’ve rounded up for you from the learning, technology, and design world this week! Have a great weekend!
Top Tools for Learning 2018
Jane Hart (@c4lpt) recently wrapped up her annual Top Tools for Learning 2018 list. I find that a lot of people are surprised by the top tools on this list. Are you? Learn more about it and read Jane’s analysis of this year’s list.
A New Paradigm For Corporate Training: Learning In The Flow of Work
Josh Bersin (@Josh_Bersin) believes that corporate L&D is in the midst of an evolution from programs and courses to “learning in the flow of work”. I hope he is right. What are your thoughts on it?
The Truth About Teaching to Learning Styles, and What to Do Instead
This research report, The Truth About Teaching to Learning Styles, and What to Do Instead, by Jane Bozarth (@JaneBozarth), explores the concept of teaching to learning styles and its effect on learning outcomes. My very favorite part of this is the “What to do instead” section.
Turning Noise Into Knowledge
In this article, Lee Bryant talks about how turning content into knowledge, and conversation into learning becomes more important as online engagement in the digital workplace increases.
Design thinking is the opposite of inclusive design
These days you see a fair amount about design thinking. In this article, NYU professor Natasha Iskander argues that design thinking only serves to uphold the status quo.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- If you ever build slides (and who doesn’t?) you should definitely watch the #PreSum18 hashtag from the Presentation Summit that went down in San Diego week.
- Across the pond, #LearningPoolLive was yesterday in London.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- EDIT – Yet another Canva-like online graphic design tool.
- Halftone Pro Polygons – I really like the look of these. This low poly generator creates a great looking in a matter of seconds. Just upload a photo or a gradient as a source and let them do the rest.
Apps & Tools
- Give Microsoft Teams a go for free.
- Chart Chooser by @juiceanalytics – This free, online tool helps you identify the right chart based on what you are trying to show, and then lets you download the Excel or #PowerPoint version of that chart to help you get your job done
- Check out the Learning Experience Design MOOC from HT2Labs (@ht2labs).
- Work Together Anywhere: A Handbook on Working Remotely—Successfully—for Individuals, Teams, and Managers by Lissette Sutherland (@lightling)
- John Hagel on A Future of More Human Work at the Singularity University Global Summit.
What I’m listening too
- I’m a fan of songs from one genre that are remade in another style. These acoustic versions of pop songs are doing the trick for me today.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- September 27-28: ATD Storyline Certificate Workshop Alexandria, VA
- October 2: “Simple Steps To Build Your Credibility And Signal Your Professional Expertise” Human Resources Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
- October 5: “Moving from Hype to Reality: Experiments with Microlearning” Cincinnati ATD Annual Conference
- October 22: “L&D Strategies from the Marketing Playbook” Full day workshop DevLearn Las Vegas, NV
- October 23: DevLearn Morning Buzz: Curation in the Workplace
- October 24: DevLearn “Wired Not Tired: Is Curation the Cure for What Ails You?”
- December 13th Elearning Webinar: ATD Maryland.
- January ATD TechKnowledge