Success is an act of exploration. That means the first thing you have to find is the unknown. Learning is searching; anything else is just waiting. – Dale Dauten
In case you missed it NASA landed a probe on Mars this past Monday completing a mind-boggling 301 million mile trip. Man, I *LOVE* science! Here are a few far-out things here on earth for you from the world of learning, design, and technology. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
You’ve Been Learning All Wrong – Making Knowledge Stick with Peter Brown
Catch Peter Brown talking about a counter-intuitive approach to learning that flies in the face of the way you think you should learn and how it might transform your learning process. He shares some evidence-based learning strategies explains why you should focus on getting knowledge out of your brain instead of into it (and what, exactly, that means). Peter Brown is the author of Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning.
Seth Godin: The Future Of Education And The Current State Of Marketing
Seth Godin talks with Dan Schawbel about the future of education, the current state of the marketing world, and how to thrive in the new economy.
The future belongs to those that can do two things: Lead and Solve Interesting Problems
The network effect is the most powerful force in the world.
Simplifying Cognitive Load Theory
Adam Boxer (@adamboxer1) takes a stab and simplifying the cognitive load theory. John Sweller’s Cognitive Load Theory (CLT) may be the single most important thing for teachers to know, but it was not necessarily designed with teachers in mind. The product of lab-based randomized controlled trials, it is a theory from the specific academic discipline of Cognitive Science. In recent years teachers have found it incredibly useful and many blogs and books have been written trying to explain it and how it can be utilized in front-line education.
Using Long Screenshots in Presentations
This is a super slick (and easy) post about using long screenshots in your presentations by Stephy Lewis (@PresentWrkshp). You can use this as a nice compliment to this post on using screenshots in realistic mockups.
Be Curious. Ask Questions. Share What You Learn.
This is a quick look both backward and forward for a good approach to maximizing the benefits of your own personal learning.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- Looking for your next conference? I’ve added some new events recently to my global collection of L&D events.
- Canadian Elearning Conferences call for speakers is open through December 7th
- Content Marketing World speaking proposals are open until December 14th
- ICELW 2019 Call for Proposals is now open and the deadline is December 16th, 2018.
- HR Tech Conference – open until December 28th. Get the details here.
- carrd.co – Simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for portfolios, businesses, or pretty much anything.
Apps & Tools
- LiveFile – Drop any file into LiveFile and get an immediate, shareable link. A new option for interactive presentations and document sharing with remote audiences.
- Do you know about Instructional Designers in Offices Drinking Coffee? I dropped by this week to chat with Brent Schlenker (@bschlenker) and Chris Van Wengerden (@Chris_V_W) You can catch them live every Wednesday at 9am Eastern
- Tune in to the Mindset Digital podcast as Pete Brown (@petebrownsays) and I catch up on some takeaways from DevLearn and the value of having a 4-year old around. Plus Matt Weiner shares “Something On The Internet to Make You Laugh.”
- 100 Notable Books from 2018 – The year’s best as selected by the editors of The New York Times Book Review.
- How to Create DIY Explainer Videos by Lee Lefever (@LeeLefever) of Common Craft
- Learning Personal Branding by Chelsea Krost on LinkedIn Learning
[Check your local library for free access.]
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter Brown
What I’m listening to
- I’ve found my way back to an old favorite this morning. This Zero 7 channel is a just what the doctor ordered.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I enjoy sharing my ideas and experience with corporate professionals via workshops, keynote presentations, podcasts, and webinars. Learn more in my Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- November 30: TLDC with Bianca Baumann
- December 13th “Insider Secrets for Successful Elearning” ATD Maryland
- January 30th: Free Tools for eLearning Spotlight Elearning Guild Online Event
- February 4-6 ATD TechKnowledge, West Palm Beach, FL
- February 13-14 Learning Technologies, London, UK
- March 24-26: Learning Solutions, Orlando, FL