“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others. – Marcus Tullius Cicero
It was very nice getting back to one of my favorite conferences this week in Orlando. As always, getting to spend time with some amazing people is always the highlight. Biana Baumann (@biancabaumann) and I continued advocating the benefits of marketing techniques in the L&D context with a session on curation.
The biggest challenge of the week was how to pronounce .GIF. What do you think is it GIF or JIF?
Here’s what the guy who invented it says: It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.
Scalable learning vs. scalable efficiency in the automation age
John Hagel (@jhagel) says the right way to treat employees in the automation age is not by deploying scalable efficiency, but by offering scalable learning. The first requirement: enlightened leaders.
Do Learners Understand Your Instructional Graphics?
Learn about how many of us may be a bit overconfident about the graphics we use to promote learning in this conversation with Elizabeth Boling on Connie Malamed’s (@elearningcoach) podcast.
A Guide to Better Designer Client Relationships
While this article is written for graphic designers, it also applies to most L&D pros as well and includes lots of good advice on working with your clients and stakeholders.
How To Organize Files In A Design Agency
Another design article with L&D implications, this is a timely article for me, as I’ve been thinking about this lately. Mainly due to a rather painful project that is not doing any of this and how simple it can be to follow these sanity-saving guidelines. In short, cloud file storage with good desktop sync capabilities and a collaborative text/notes editing app is a must!
2019 Learning Technologies Conference Videos
With 30+ conference sessions and over 70 leading speakers and facilitators, I’m pretty confident you’ll find something valuable in this collection of talks from the 2019 edition of the Learning Technologies conference. You can find my session on curation is here.
Learning Solutions Conference Resources
Even if you weren’t able to be there you can still check out the slides and resources from many of the Learning Solutions sessions over in their online archives.
Learning, Design & Technology Miscellany
A few other things just because I can.
- color.review – Colors that look and work great for everyone PLUS a free tool to check your color contrast
- Wowa – free do whatever you want music. Like Unsplash for music.
Apps & Tools
- Connecting BigQuery and Google Sheets to help with hefty data analysis
- The Best Editing Tools For YouTube Videos
Books, Podcasts, Courses:
- Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career by Scott Young
- Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help by Edgar Schein
What I’m listening to:
- Now that the days are starting to get longer and warmer, a little Simply Red is filling the bill today.
- Don’t miss the festivites from this week’s Learning Solutions #LSCon
Looking for your next conference? I’ve recently updated my global collection of L&D events with new 2019 dates. Let me know if you see one I missed or have a new one to add.
Thanks for reading! If you found anything good, forward it to a friend or spread the word with a tweet.
You can find me at these UPCOMING EVENTS:
- June 14: PowerPoint: The Digital Design Super Powers You Never Knew, Akron, OH
- June 17-18: Learning Tech Day, Gent, Belgium
- July 12: State of Ohio Training Association Keynote, Columbus, OH
Interested in the things that didn’t make the cut here? Follow me on Twitter or even better, subscribe to my newsletter.
I’m looking for great people and organizations who want to help people learn and work better. If you’re one of them, let’s talk! Speaking and Workshop Information Sheet.